1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Broken Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TechDeath, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TechDeath

TechDeath

So I recently took my 92 squier p bass to guitar center for my sound not going through. They took it apart and were completely stumped.

Don't want to retire it because it's my only bass atm.

Both me and my father are almost sure it's my pickups but I don't know if I should risk buying new pickups if it doesnt work.

2. msaone

msaone

Not positive about bass electronics but I'm thinking you can check resistance on the pickups. But as i said that comes from experience from other type electrical work.
    The more I think about it, more likely a switch or pot. Possibly a broken wire that GC may have missed

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

You can buy new pickups and a whole new wiring set up. The pickups would be the only real expensive part. The wire and pots would be really cheap along with the jack

4. StayinTime

StayinTime

Could it be a short in your cord?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Guitar Center's people could not figure out why a bass wasn't working?! <shaking head>

New pickups are pretty cheap for a basic set. Harness too.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

8. walldaja

walldaja

Get a VOM at Harbor Freight and Salvage for under ten bucks.

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

If your looking for a super cheap P pickup with all the pots and wiring ready to drop in I can sell you a whole set up for like $10 if you have basic knowledge of how to unscrew a few bolts and screws you should be able to put it in pretty easy.

Just a suggestion, its a cheap way to fix it and I have the parts doing nothing for me.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Typical.
    Indeed. But why not save the $$ for a good replacement pickups and pots since you really enjoy the feel of this bass?
    Then you can diagnose your pickup. It should read somewhere between 6 and 12 kohms. Much more or less than that, and you have pickup coil problems, and it's probably more cost effective to replace than rewind the stock pickup in this case.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Why am I not surprised? :bag:

12. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Is someone trolling against GC again?

13. TechDeath

TechDeath

I might take you up on that offer

14. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

You can't do any better than dealing with A-Step, he's sold me quite a lot things although none of them were 'big ticket' items.

He's always been fair - more than fair really.

I bought some Peavey Fury P-p'ups from him for my Affinity a while ago and they are just great.

15. grrg63

grrg63

Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. Its a P bass, it shouldnt be that hard to figure out exactly whats wrong with it so you dont have to buy stuff you might not even need.

16. morgansterne

morgansterne

I am a former GC employee. i was a guitar player and they put me in accessories (fair enough). Within a month I was thrown into the keyboard dept. I was at that time a fair piano player but I knew nothing about synths.
    Guitar Center employees may very well be completely unqualified. Several of them checked out my fender jazz bass, where the G string was so close to the edge of the fretboard that it'd slide off if I played above the sixth fret or so. They all said "that's normal, looks fine to me." Finally I had their "luthier" check it out and notice that the neck has a crook to it. He said it wasn't possible to straighten the neck -- which isn't necessarily true either -- so he moved the bridge over a bit to compensate.
    It's not their fault if they can't figure it out, lots of them are nearly minimum wagers and you get what you pay for!

17. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Typical what? You take the bass to an actual music store, it doesn't work and they can't figure it out? Doesn't matter what store it is. As the post above says, could be they just don't know how to troubleshoot. No need to be a d**k.

18. RonChase

RonChase

I been playing around with building guitars and bass's for a couple years now, I have run into this problem a couple times. More often than not it is usually a hairline break in a wire and not visible to the naked eye, take the pickup out and hardware it to a 1/4 plug on a amp the best amp for this will be the smallest amp you have, I myself use a little battery powered amp. Turning the volume on zero and slowly bring up volume at least this will rule out the P/U

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Check to see if any of the hot wires are touching a ground. I've had a bass ground out when a positive wire was touching the control cavity sheilding, for instance.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320

And it's no unusual kinda issue really

Cheers,
    Wallace

21. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

The truth isn't always pretty, but it is what it is.
    Getting a good amp or bass tech isn't as simple as taking it to any old store - some problems aren't at all simple to diagnose and/or fix.