1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Broken Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nikkim, Nov 19, 2012.

1. nikkim

nikkim

Hello! i'm a little new in this site, but my bass doesn't work? i don't know why, when i plug it in it says a wierd sound, it's a Yamaha RBX374, i've tryed to change the batterie several times but still it says a wierd noise, a little bit like when you put it on distortion, if enyone has any idea why it says a noise like that please help me!:crying:
  2. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

It's posessed by the devil?
  3. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Are you sure it is the bass making the distorted sound?

It could be you are overdriving the input stage of the preamp, or that your speaker is blown (the voice coil scraping on the magnet).

What make of amp are you using?
  5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Your output jack might be loose. Open up the control cavity and look for the jack. If you can see it without taking it out, plug your cable in (don't turn the amp on), and make sure the metal prongs on the jack are holding the cable nice and tight. If not, unplug, bend the prongs inward, and try again.
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

If I were you, I'd PM a mod and ask them to move this over to the Pickups & Electronics section, you'll probably get a better response there.
  7. xxx666

xxx666

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    I lolled
  8. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Thanks. I'm here all night.
  9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

was also thinking it might be the cord itself...or a ground issue on the bass? This was happening to my 72 P, and after trouble shooting everything else, we took the bridge off (because that is where the little ground wire is) and found out that over time, the wire was not touching the metal of the bridge anymore. We just "dug" it back up a bit and made it so it was touching the metal again
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

First thing would be to isolate the problem - go to a bassist buddy's house, or to a music store, and try plugging your bass into a different amp and a different bass into your amp, and try using a different cable. That will tell you where the problem is. If it's in the bass, probably a slightly loose wire or cable jack. If the cable is the problem, just get a new cable. If it's the amp, try cleaning the jacks. If none of these fix it, take it into the shop to get fixed (or trade it in if there's a warranty or anything on it).
  11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Could be as simple as the battery isn't making good contact with the battery terminals on the bass. I'm not familiar with this particular model, but if it's possible to bend the contacts UP to make better contact, this MAY be the problem. JMHO