1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Broken-in Chromes sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 3, 2013.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

I've heard recordings of basses with chromes on youtube videos and such but it's almost always new or almost new chromes. People say they mellow out after a while, so does anyone have a recording of chromes after they've been on a bass long enough to be past the "break-in" period?
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Not very good recordings but this was a band i was in years ago.
    Nightmare, Lil Heavy, and Queen of the Damned were recorded with p bass, pick, and old chromes.
    Just straight from the bass into recording console.
    Listen with headphones if you got them.
    I hate new chromes also, but i bought these of a fellow tber years ago. Wish i still had them.
    www.reverbnation.com/deadairgroup
  3. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

I have 3 yr+ old chromes on my Hofner and 2yr+ old chromes on my jazz. They sound great stiil some highs but very mellow. Love Em'
  5. MaHei

MaHei

This jam was recorded on well worn Chromes, maybe five years old.

https://soundcloud.com/markonbass/jaeclectic-fortunate

You can hear that the highs have mellowed but the mids are still there - and no traditional thump. Bass is a Hanewinckel with Barts; so a modern setup with grubby old strings :D
  6. MaHei

MaHei

One thing I have to say after listening to the soundbites provided here (nice playing guys/gals!) is how well the bass sits in the mix. Many other factors involved, of course, but I believe broken in Chromes are good at remaining in bass territory while still being heard.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

I like how that sounds. I enjoyed your playing as well.
  8. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

Nice groove!
  9. webmonster

webmonster

Sorry I have no recording, but I've just replaced the 7 or 8 year old Chromes on my 4001.
    It was the feel of them that made me think about replacing them rather than the sound.

I wouldn't have described the old set as sounding 'thumpy' although the new set has slightly better sustain.

The new set is certainly more zingy (funny to be using that term with flats). Also I'm getting a bit of fret buzz and the only other thing I've changed is the intonation at the bridge.