Broken neck replacement conundrum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Bass fell down bass go boom and the worst kind ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396124032.544886.jpg so now instead of repairing it I decided to replace it. I could get one from bacchus or I could have warmoth build me one. Here's my dilemma: the specs of my neck and the pocket fit the warmoth deluxe 4+1 neck, my problem here is my bass is a 35 scale while the warmoth is a 34. With all the measurements on point will the inch difference make a problem for me? I'd like to be sure here considering either route I go I'm going to end up paying $700+ I'd rather go the warmoth route to because I have a badass idea for the neck.
  2. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    No, the 34" scale neck is not an option unless you're going to move your bridge accordingly. The fret slots are cut for 34" not 35" so your intonation will be off if you were to just bolt the new neck on.
  3. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

What if the spacing at the nut and the bridge was the same
  4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

You can glue it back together.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

I could but honestly if I could get one made to my specs I'd rather go that route
  7. ugly_bassplayer

If it's done properly, a glued neck is stronger than it was before.
  8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    The string spacing isn't the issue. The issue is where the bridge saddles will end up when the bass is intonated. You could get lucky and there is enough play in the saddles to allow proper intonation, or you may need to move the bridge. I'd try to repair the headstock first.
  9. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

I'm about to install a new bridge anyways do you think if I moved it up an inch it would compensate for it?
  10. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    It would all depend on where the fretboard sits on the neck. You may not even need to move it at all.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

going from a 35 inch to a 34 is IMO way more complicated than glueing the broken one.
  12. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Right dude I wish things were easier for me but I have to complicate them all the time. Seriously though I just can't understand if all the measurement a line up why would that one extra inch affect anything
  13. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I guess the other thing to worry about besides the bridge is that your pickups will no longer be in the same sweet spot, if you believe in sweet spots. But there will be a tonal difference.
  14. BillisCool

BillisCool

I'd like to add... This is why you always pre-drill holes. It looks like all the breaks occurred where the screws are... and I would be really annoyed with whomever put it together.

Just saying. :)
  15. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Because the don't just have to line up sideways, they have to line up lengthwise too. The space between the nut and the twelfth fret has to be the space between the twelfth fret and the bridge. Plus space for intonation. that's musical physics baby.
  16. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Brutal well I messaged the bacchus dealer on getting a replacement see what the damage is there. Maybe my luthier could build me something if I send out the bass to him or the neck sad face I have :( and I agree with the screw comment and I'm definitely replacing them with hipshot
  17. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    It's tougher to build a neck for a body than a body for a neck I'm told. The thickness of the neck come into play when you're dealing with the pocket depth. It it's too thin, then you can't drop the saddles low enough to get low action. Too thick and you have to route the neck pocket deeper.
  18. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Here's the basic math for your situation. You have a 35" neck. That means that the 12th fret is 17 1/2 inches from the bridge saddles. If you put on a 34" neck , the bridge saddles will need to be 17" from the 12th fret. This means you might have to move the bridge .There is a possibility that the new neck will relocate the 12th fret thereby resolving this problem for you. This will to some degree affect the "sweet spot" although the effect may not be noticeable. Then again , it might. It may also leave the old bridge mount holes visable. If you have a high mass bridge , they might be covered. Also , make sure the bridge P.U. is far enough away from the bridge to allow the bridge to be moved.(Usually not a problem.) All that being said , any luthier should be able to glue that thing back together with very good results for a lot less than the cost of a new neck. Good luck.
  19. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Ya maybe I should take it somewhere
  20. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Got a quote ok so:

$720 from warmoth with a chance of intonation troubles

$750 + $50 to bacchus which could take a over a month (Japan)

Or $125 to have a local luthier repair it

Suddenly my custom aspirations have dwindled
  21. cybersnyder

Disclosures: