1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Broken Strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 13, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Hi, I bought a Godin A5 a while back and after playing it for a while broke an E string. I've broken strings in the past because I've got a strong right hand plucking technique, but not for years, and I'm pretty sure, never an E, just a D or G here and there. I put on new D'Addario flats on it maybe 3 weeks back and have had to retune pretty much every time I picked it up, but didn't think this unusual. The B string I've noticed for the last week or so has really been out. When I was tuning it today, it broke at the tuning peg end. I would tune it to pitch, play the harmonic, it would be low (like it slipped), tune it up, check, it would be low, and so on until it broke. I wasn't over tightening, just gradually tuning it up to the corresponding harmonic on the E. Any idea what might've caused this to happen? Thanks.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Two possibilities: 1) it is sticking at the nut (i.e. the nut slot is too small). The tension goes up between the nut and the tuning peg but the pitch doesn't go up correspondingly. Eventually the tension breaks the string at the peg. 2) There is a sharp edge on the tuning peg. It could be a combination.

The only time I ever broke an E string it was a bad string. You could see where the winding was loose.

3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Thanks for your input. Think it might be a bad string as I put a B from another set on there last night and it was in tune this a.m. The pitch was going up correspondingly and then dropping from the time I went from playing the harmonic to the tuning peg, another reason I think it might've been the string. Hopefully I'll get an exchange as the B doesn't match the others now :-(