1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bronco or EB3???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Improbable, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

So, I asked my local music sture (an Epi/Gibson) dealer to get me an Epi EB3 (Pelham Blue!). Love that mudbucker sound, figured I'd throw a Hipshot bridge on there, good to go. Well, money's a bit tight lately (I'm laid off 'till Sept-School Bus Driver) and the local pawn shop has a Squier Bronco for $100.00 (plays well, good shape). Now I'm torn! I play blues/Blues rock stuff, so a Hot Rail + Flats on the Bronco would be pretty awesome. So here's my options:

Get The Epi - no Bronco

Get The Bronco - no Epi

Don't get either, save $$$ (my wife says it's up to me, bills are paid)

of course, this being TB most of you will add the option "get neither, save up for a P bass"...

What do you guys think? I got GAS!

2. Salamenster

Salamenster

Do you have another bass already? If money is tight, put to use what you got!

3. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Broncos are a good platform for mods if you like to tinker. If you've happened upon one of the rare "magical" ones that for whatever reason plays/sounds WAY better than it should, I say go for it. So long as it's structurally sound, new electronics and new hardware can make those things every bit as good as some Mustangs that cost 6X as much.

(Obligatory disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, blah, blah, blah ;) )

4. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90 Supporting Member

I have a bronco I modded into a musicmaster clone. threw in an old duo sonic pickup and tinted the maple neck then sealed it with poly... I dont like raw necks...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

*Ahem* Two actually. I wish my wife discouraged my GAS more (pretty much the opposite of everyone else's wife).

7. ncapone

ncapone

Sounds like your wife and my girlfriend have something in common, then.

8. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90 Supporting Member

If you get the EB-3 let me know if you like it though, I am in a toss up of getting one...or a VM Mustang

9. Salamenster

Salamenster

What type of basses do you already own?

EDIT: According to your page, you already own an Epi EB-3?

10. George Mann

George Mann

Just so you know, the Bronco's Agathis body-wood is completely dead sounding. So much so that it sounds slightly hollow!

This will have a big impact on your choice of pickup.

11. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

I anticipated getting the EB3, however, when I went to the store I tried it out and it felt a bit "stiff". I really didn't like the way it felt. I've had an older EB3, and an Epi EB0, I don't think it was as good as either.:confused:

So I've gone (for now) with "neither". I go back to work soon, and sunday my pockets will be weighted down with gig money, so the Bronco's not off the table yet...

12. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

I was anticipating getting it. I have a OLPmm3, Epi EB0, Peavey Milestone (oddly, my favorite and "go to" bass).

13. FourBanger

FourBanger

Of the two I would pick the Bronco. With a hair of work the Bronco should be a pretty versatile bass, whereas the EB-3 might always sound mostly like an EB-3.

14. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

To me, it didn't sound like an EB3. Big disappointment. The store happily hung it on the wall. No hard feelings, I'm sure someone else will buy it.

15. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

16. MakoMan

MakoMan

I'd get the Bronco. I threw a $25 GFS Hot Rails pickup in mine and it absolutely rocks. The neck is amazing, very fast and quite comfortable.
    The Bronco is also quite light and - perhaps more importantly - is a very well balanced short scale bass. It has absolutely zero neck dive, unlike my other 4 short scales.