Bronco vs Vintage Modified Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I thinking about getting a SS with a maple fret board. Do ya'll got anything say about them?
  2. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Are we talkin basses or Fords?
  3. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

shoot, wrong forum!

jk.
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The mustang is MILES ahead in quality, I am a lover of all short scale fender products but the mustang is just simply a better bass in all points.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a Bronco mod'd with a Gretsch 2202 pickup and it's a really good bass with a big sound.

[​IMG]

I have a Squier Mikey Way Mustang with humbucker pickup on the way...should be here this week. I've never even heard the guy the bass is sig'd by, I just like the idea of the setup.

[​IMG]

Bang for the buck, I think the Squiers are a great buy.
  7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I have a Bronco with LaBella flatwounds that I put a Bartolini 8S pickup into. If I had to thin my herd it would be one of the keepers. I haven't tried the Mustang.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm the same way with that Bronco with the Gretsch pickup. It's not going anywhere...it's probably my #1 go-to bass in preference to some that cost 4x as much.
  9. George Mann

George Mann

I like the Bronco with an AERO Musicmasterer pickup, CTS pots + Switch-Craft jack, Resolite tuners and custom pick-guard!
  10. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I haven't tried the mustang, but I just recently got a bronco and I haven't been able to put it down, it's a lot of bass for the money and I always prefered the musicmaster-styling over the mustang styling.

I recommend the bronco, but I may be biased as I've never tried the mustang (Although I'm sure it rocks).
  11. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Nice Bronco. What about the intonation?
    And nice mustang!
  12. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

There are shortscale Thunderbirds and Explorers, too.
  13. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Don't try and find him. He and his band are terrible.... :rollno:
  14. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I've been asked this a few times recently.

Long-story-short:

If you want/can mod... get the Bronco. It's a VERY easy bass to 'upgrade', and you can get a VERY good sounding bass for a very minimal cost.

If you want something to plug and play... get the Mustang. The VM Mustang is an exceptional value as-is, and is completely gig-able out of the box. However, like the Fender version, the upgrade options are pretty small.

I have a Bronco that i've upgraded, and it's one of my main players for the past 3 years.

[​IMG]
  15. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

My first bass was a Bronco - really nice it was too. The only thing I would say is that, nice as the tone is, it's quite a "small" sound, as I found when I moved up to long-scale basses. Can't comment on the Mustang, but it looks like there are plenty of quick fixes in this thread alone to get a "bigger" sound out of your Bronco, and they're pretty inexpensive to start off with.
  16. Meddle

Meddle

My first bass was a Bronco. Seem to remember the tone was nice, but that was before I knew about tone. I routed the pickguard for some sort of PAF pickup which I covered in black tape. I then got a black pickguard for it and had a hotrails thing in there (which ended up in an Aria Strat I sold to a mate).

Then the body was stripped (badly) and hand painted with blue Hammerite paint. That body is now safely in the landfill and the neck is mounted on a 3/4 Strat body with the original Bronco bridge mounted down at the strap button.

TL:DR I'm an idiot.
  17. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

i kind of like the bronco too..so simple and inexpensive its almost iconic..
    put a dark star into it?
  18. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I haven't seen it with a Bronco... but here's both a Mustang and a Musicmaster with Dark Stars:

[​IMG]
  19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Both of them boot the raw maple necks... which I can't stand so I say neither. Go with a Danelectro if you want a cool SS
  20. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Has anyone had any issues with the Bronco's neck? I keep hearing that since it doesn't have a fretboard it won't last...
  21. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I've been giging mine (and regularly practicing) for about 3 years... no weird neck/fret issues to speak of. Though, i can understand where these worries would come from. But yeah, personally, i haven't had issue.

Honestly, the neck on the Bronco is my favorite part.