1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Brorrowed someones Finder SideKick Bass Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Nov 24, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Warning:it tured out to be user error... This is one of those things I don't like to admit too.

Ok, Last night it stoped working... Only the Red light and sound is when you tune it on am wounding if its my Cord that gone bad or is it the Amp that is dieing because it sucks. I should have a amp anyways by the end of the week. Should I get someone to look at the amp as well before returning it to the owner?

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nah!
    just dump it off on the guys porch with a note saying that it quit working.

3. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Do some basic troubleshooting. Try a different instrument. Try a new cord. Look for obvious things like a standby switch or mute button accidentally pushed in. If none of that then get the amp looked at by a repair guy. It is very uncool to borrow something and then return it broken - I'm sure you know that already. Good luck!

4. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Seems like a A**hole move there. Which am not and I barely now the guy that let me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Thanks am wounding if the guy I borrowed his Amp from has Another cord I Could test it with.

7. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Cords are cheap, always have two (or more).
    Plus if you buy a new cord and the amp is good, its still money well spent.

8. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Haha!

Ninja -- joke.

This is the problem with borrowing gear. It's now YOUR responsibility, because he did you a big favor -- and he needs it back, working, probably ASAP.

Call the dude -- tell him what's going on, and see if you can bring it over to him and have him check it out, see if you're doing something wrong. He knows his amp, has another bass and another cable, and probably another power cable.

If it's still having problems, offer to get it checked out by a professional, and fix it for him. Remember to be appropriately apologetic and humble. And don't wait around, just take care of it.

9. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Personally, I would just take care of it. If he needs it back sooner, let him know what's going on. Probably the amp just gave out, not because of anything you did to it. But if I borrowed a working amp I'd want to return the same.

10. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

If it were my gear, would like to know what's up before any fixing -- I've got techs that I specifically go to if there are problems. Would prefer it going to them, rather than a random shop.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    I hope you feel better soon. ;)

Is that pronounced Fin-dear or Fine-der? :bag:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Word. Try a new AC cable, and if it doesn't work, be honest with the dude so you can plan a course of action that he approves of.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Besides the above suggestions, another possibility is that the amp was already intermittently not working; perhaps the owner of it already is aware there is a problem with it?

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the pilot light is on then the amp is getting power therefore the power cable is good.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    DOH! Totally missed that point! Didn't see the firest for the trees.

16. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely tell the owner before doing anything. It might be a problem he already knows about, in which case you might not be responsible. Just be honest and open about it, and work out a mutually satisfactory solution.

17. BassmanPaul

That made me LOL. :D

18. BassmanPaul

OP make sure that the speaker(s) are connected properly. Sometimes the connections to the speaker are made with clips that can vibrate off. the driver itself can be tested with a 9V battery across it's terminals. Should give you a hearty clunk from the driver.

19. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

if you cant get it working, to chooses:

1. hand it back to him with a smile, say " thank, me, i taught you a valuable lesson, never lend anybody your stuff. "

B. buy a new one if you can fend the same model, and hand that one to him with a smile, say "thank you, i learned a valuable lesson, never borrow anybodys stuff."

good thing those litle finder amops are cheap.better than learning this lesson after crashing his car.

20. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Which model Sidekick is it? I'll check out the schematic.

21. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I know someone that can take a look at it. Plus I also know the person that sold it to him as well. Also I all Really let the guy know about what is happening to also.