Brute vs. M2500. Bring it on.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scubaduba, Jan 5, 2014.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Here is a conundrum. Both Brubaker Brutes and G&L M2500 Tributes seem to be fantastic instruments. Especially for the price tag. I am deeply debating between the purchase of a Brute or black M2500 Tribute. Both are about the same price. Both are relatively "modern" instruments (though the Brute is probably more so). I know what to expect from the M2500, I've owned a US M2500 before (as well as a fretless L2500 and fretted L2500). Love the tones out of the M2500.

But something has me attracted to the Brute series. Never had the chance to play one let alone hold one. Tell me how it is. What are the ups and downs of each. Sell me one way or the other. I'm looking for a cheaper bass up bass that still looks great and sounds great and plays great.

• Balance of the Brute compared to the G&L
    • Preamp quality of the Brute compared to the G&L
    • Pickup quality
    • Neck/pocket tightness

I'm not looking for over-the-top modern. My MTD 535 and others have that covered. Just wanting a good versatile backup instrument. Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I have a Brute SC, and an MIK L2500, so I can sort of comment here. Overall, the L2500 is more about midrange punch and the Brute is more modern and scooped. The L2500 has a decent neck pocket, but the Brubaker neck joint is unique. It actually inserts into the body, and the neck extends to between the two pickups, bolting about halfway down the body. I like the L2500 pickups. But I didn't care for the uneven string balance of the Brute MM pickup and promptly replaced it. The preamps of the two both serve their purpose well, but are so different they would be difficult to compare. The Brute balances a lot better, and plays better to, although I like the tighter string sacing of the L2500.

3. scubaduba

What do you mean by uneven string balance of the MM pickup?

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

It may well have been an issue specific to my bass. I have no reason to believe it affects the whole line, and have never heard another report of this issue. However, the B string on mine was dramatically quieter than the other strings. With some experimentation, I determined it was an issue with the pickup, and the issue was completely resolved by replacing the MM pickup.

I should also say that, had I asked for a resolution from either Brubaker or the Brute distributor, I am confident they would have done whatever is necessary to make me happy.

I REALLY like my Brute Singlecut. It is currently keeping my other fivers in their cases.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scubaduba

Lots of votes... please leave comments regarding your choice.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The Brute is better balanced. The M2500 feels 'vintage' and clunky in comparison to the sleek, more modern Brute.

Brute wins the neck joint fight without a doubt. In fact it's not really a neck joint since the neck extends halfway into the body.

M2500 has tight string spacing, the Brute has normal 19mm spacing.

M2500 has a fat, chunky neck. Brute has a slimmer, wider neck.

M2500 if you ask me has a slight edge in the electronics, but the Brute takes everything else. Electronics can be upgraded though.

8. scubaduba

Are you referring to the first gen or latest electronics or both.

9. scubaduba

I got to admit. I'm a little surprised by the results here. Where's the comments?

10. mmbongo

Yeah the latest version of the Brute electronics.

11. mmbongo

Most of the G&L voters probably don't even know what a Brubaker is :)

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Definitely anomaly, my Brute doesn't have this problem at all.

13. Hapa

Hapa

I would go with the Brubaker, but it is mainly because I dislike the tone controls on the G&L's. That and I suppose that the Brute is a little easier to modify. I have played both but not next to each other.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Right on the money in my opinion...the fit/finish, playability and resonance of the Brute is just ridiculous, especially considering that they retail for ~$700 and can be had used for less than $500...

If you don't dig the stock pickups or electronics and replace them with boutique aftermarket parts, even if you pay retail for everything, you'll still come in at $1000 and end up with a bass that plays and sounds like it cost three times as much.

15. scubaduba

Thanks! How about balance and weight compared between the two?

How do the Tobacco burst and Blueburst look in person?

16. Handyman

Handyman

Have you tried the M series basses? They have a normal three band active EQ on them, entirely unlike the L series basses.

17. scubaduba

You're talking about the L2000/2500 right? The M series has typical volume, pickup pan knob and three band EQ. No switches.

18. Hapa

Hapa

ahh the newer ones, I just played on of them over Christmas at my old stomping grounds at Jims music in Tustin, CA...

In that case, it is very hard for me to say what is a better build. I lean ever so slightly on the g&L.

19. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Take a brute, put some high end pups and pre in it and nothing in it's class can touch it for even the upgraded Brute price. That is My opinion. I am looking at upgrading my current stock Brute MJX-5 my options are:

1. Custom set of RJ Neos J/MM set with Bart NTMB pre
    2. A set of Aggie Soap bars and Bart NTMB Pre
    3. A set of Bart Quad Coils with Bart NTMB Pre with a 3 way coil splitter for each pup
    4. Hanson LH3 system

Either way total expenditure for for entire bass will end up around 1K and it will be an awesome Bass for that amount of kickzz it will provide. In addition I won't have some mass produced bass that everyone else has.