BSX Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

2. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

Can't comment on that model, but I did own a T series and liked it very much.
    Best EUB I found to date. I used it to record some tunes on my bands album, "After Hours"
    http://www.mp3.com/after_hours

Too much sustain and no real acoustic "kick" or "boom" if you will to be mistaken for an acoustic.

I play a DeArmond Ashbory which has the "boom" but not the centered tone which comes with the greater string length.

So its a trade off.

Good Luck
    Dave

3. bill spangler

bill spangler

I have a BSX 2000 series 5-string that is wearing 4 D'Addario heliocores (E-G) and what, appears to me, a Super sensitive "e" string being used as the low "B" string.

I'm not sure about which one of the three types of heliocores is on this beast, though their wrappings are Pittsburgh Steeler colors. The D"Addarios seem as if they are fairly new---does anyone have a suggestion for a good B-string to match the othher four?

4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Since I've acquired an EUB to use for combat zone gigs, I'm jonesing to replace my strings on my real upright with something that is very forgiving to play arco with. The string also needs to handle jazz pizz duties on occasion. The bass is old and solid wood (but not a "pedigree" bass) and naturally pretty bright sounding. My daughter and I shared duties on this bass and it is presently wearing D'Addario "hybrids".

I'd love to hear some suggestions from the arco guys here!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. olivier

olivier

My advice is Obligato, especially for the easy arco requirement, but also for the pizz duties... after the D'Addario "hybrid", you will almost think you've got a new bass!!!

7. bill spangler

bill spangler

One of the orchestra teachers (a VERY decent bassist) also recommended the Obligatos.

8. jumps

jumps

I ordered a BSX bass from this guy called DINO over the net. Sent my payment, told it'll be 6 weeks. Now it's almost 4 - 5 months, I get replies like parts are in shortage, etc... now he doesn't reply my e-mail.

Does anyone know this guy? Or is this an elaborate scam???

HELP!!!

9. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Disclosures:
    www.azola.com
    Try not to worry too much ... Dino at BSX is a real person building basses, definitely *not* a scam. There is probably some valid explanation for the lack of communication ... computer trouble, illness, family complications, natural disaster ... something of that nature. Most of the electric upright builders are small operations. We all do our best to estimate completion times on instruments, but it is an inexact science, and sometimes unexpected emergencies cause delays. Also, with the internet opening us up to the whole world, some of us have been flooded with email correspondence which takes a lot of time to keep up with. I don't know if Dino has any help ... luckily I have Jill to handle most of the correspondence, so I can focus on making instruments. But even she has trouble keeping up sometimes.

Keep trying to be patient. Surely Dino will either refund your money or send you your instrument once he knows how distressed you are about the situation.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
    Steve
    www.azola.com

10. jumps

jumps

Thanks for the assurance. I should be more patient... ooops, wait till he finds out I wrote this. He'll probably destroy my bass.... HAHA.

Mebbe time to consider an AZOLA bass???
    But seriously, this is great man, this website...

11. Fred W

Fred W

I have a BSX 5 string stick that I just got back. It was out of commission since summer '03. ( it had a tailpiece made of PCV tube bent to horseshoe shape, a terrible design which finally gave out) I bought a set of Corelli 380 TX for it, and took it to Dave Borisoff at Hipshot who made a new tailpiece;a more traditional design. I should mention this was my main jazz axe for years, three years ago moving to acoustic. My problem with the Corellis is they feel too flexible, too much give, not enough snap. I'm not sure how much of this is the strings, and how much is me getting stronger playing acoustic, but I need a change. Also the intrinsic sound of the BSX is a factor- it is very phat and deep, dark and wide, but lacks center. So, would heavier strings give it more punch? Can I get a recommendation given these parameters? Thanks everyone :help:

12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Which gauge are the Corellis?
    I agree that the M gauge is not appropriate for pizz playing.
    I also suggest you browse the new eub forum, the strings forum newbie links and search the strings forum about EUBs.
    There has been several threads about eub stringing.
    Also, what kind of tone are you looking for?

13. Fred W

Fred W

Thank you Francois. I believe TX is the heaviest 380 gauge. As far as tone, I am trying to counter-balance the intrinsic sound of the bass itself, as described before. I need punch. Sustain it has a ton, also lots of fundamental, as if it was run thru an octave divider. I wish all of you could play it and give me an informed opinion, it's strange trying to describe how it sounds and feels.

14. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Forgive me, I didn't realize you indicated the string gauge (TX) in your first post.
    How about Pirastro Jazzers or Thomastik Spirocores?
    They have plenty of punch and overtones.

15. davesisk

davesisk

Hey folks:

Sorry to bump a really old thread, but I just snagged a BSX ST-series 4-string off Ebay for what I believe is a very good price ($700...what do you think?). Looks to be in reasonably good shape (has a crack in the body finish that is alledgedly cosmetic only, and a bent tuner which I'll either straighten or replace). Alledgedly, everything else is as it should be. I'll hopefully have it in my possession within a week or two.

I'm primarily an electric bassist so I'm quite excited entering the upright world. (And yes, I have researched the whole EUB vs. URB deal, and understand that an EUB is a somewhat different instrument from the URB...an EUB was still what I fits my needs the best.)

Dave

16. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you have any issues with the BSX, I've found Dino to be very responsive to email inquiries. I'm very satisfied with mine, FWIW.
    [​IMG]

Have fun!

17. Frank Louis

Frank Louis

I agree, Dino is a gentleman. I had to replace a broken tuner recently and he provided me with the correct Hipshot part number for replacement, he even offered to send me one if he found a loose one layin' around. I have the 2000 model which looks very simillar to yours. It is serial #4 ! Dino says this was the fourth bass he built for commercial sale 15 years ago. Enjoy your "pogo stick" , it really is a fine instrument. ;)

18. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine's around 15 years old as well, according to Dino. I'm considering getting the new bridge system installed, because the arco sound is pretty uneven from string to string. This is my main gigging instrument though, so it'd be hard to do without for an extended time.

19. hwooden@verizon

hwooden@verizon

Hope not too late - I have owned three BSX UEB's all great. The yellow Allegro five string on the site is mine. Plays like butter. As i travel around the lower 48 doing about 120 concerts a year - I have the flight case and it helps alot. Any questions do not hesitate to ask.

20. davesisk

davesisk

I've sent a few emails to Dino at BSX since I got my new/old BSX ST-4, and I have had any replies. Any idea what's going on? I don't know Dino as this is my first attempts at any communications with him, but I've certainly heard that he's a really nice fellow and very customer service oriented. I doubt that he's ignoring my emails because I'm asking questions about a used EUB that I own.

So far, I'm very pleased with the ST-4. I'd really like the stand for it though...anyone know of a source other than Dino, since he isn't answering? Would anyone post some good pics of the stand if you have it? I'm pretty sure I could modify a decent cymbal stand to serve the need...

Thx!
    Dave

21. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine's partly visible in the photo further up this thread. It was made from a Tama cymbal stand. I can email you photos as soon as I get my digicam batteries recharged, if you'd like. I have no idea if my stand looks the same as whatever BSX provides these days though?