1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bubinga Beast Overhaul and Bartolini TC3 Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sollie7, May 5, 2013.

1. Sollie7

Sollie7

Finally getting around to buying a preamp for this bass and replacing the crappy mini pots with full size.

I just ordered:

Bartolini TC3 Preamp

3 250k Solid Shaft CTS Pots

3 Black Dome Knobs

Shielding Paint

.047 NOS Mullard Tropical Fish Cap :p

Bass has Bartolini 9CBJS1. Basically right now I blend both pickups and always have the volumes almost all the way up. My goal is to have a more usable volume range and just general increase in output. Would like to keep the VVT setup. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for that? Looked at the bartolini one on bestbassgear site(http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/bartolini-tc3.pdf) , do I just follow the Using the TC preamp without boost one (3rd diagram down)
  2. line6man

line6man

There is a VVT diagram on the Seymour Duncan website, but I can't link it from my phone.
  3. Sollie7

Sollie7

for the TC3?
  4. Sollie7

Sollie7

so Im basically thinking I should just wire it standard VVT then have the yellow input wire of the preamp wired to each input pickup slot on the pots. then have green output wire on preamp go straight to the jack?

Attached Files:

• tc3.png
      tc3.png
      File size:
      206.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Projectile

Projectile

Nope, that's not going to work very well. The easiest way to hook it up is to (starting with he basic passive VVT wiring scheme) take the wire that connects the center lug of the tone pot to the tip of the jack, disconnect it, then connect the yellow preamp wire to the tone pot center lug, and the green preamp wire to the tip of the jack. This will insert the preamp at the end of the VVT stack, leaving the controls unaffected.
  6. Sollie7

Sollie7

Ah that makes sense I was just over thinking it...thanks
  7. Sollie7

Sollie7

got everything wired up just waiting for the preamp...should be here today.
  8. Sollie7

Sollie7

Forgot about this but its been done for a while

Attached Files:

9. Sollie7

Sollie7

This bass is being overhauled yet again. Complete refinish with Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane. Also finally got around to getting a custom headstock decal made. Will post pics whens its done. Looking good so far though, but still needs a few more coats.
  10. Sollie7

Sollie7

Refin done

Attached Files:

11. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

That came out very nice! Was it difficult to apply? Did you use the spray can version and how many coats/cans did you need?
  12. Sollie7

Sollie7

Thanks I used a little less than 2 spray cans and about 10 thin coats over the tru oil that was already on there
  13. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Hmmm....I think I will try it.
  14. Sollie7

Sollie7

Cool feel free to pm me if you need any help.