1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buckeye patch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xqusemuah, Mar 28, 2014.

1. xqusemuah

xqusemuah Supporting Member

thinking about installing a different preamp in my bass with a buckeye top. This would require re drilling several of the holes. I do still have some of the buckeye material for the patches.... any suggestions for making this look seamless?

PS Bass is finished with satin nitro

2. SaintMez

SaintMez

Is there a preamp you can buy configured to your current layout? I would think that would be the preferable route as opposed to patching and refinishing.

3. xqusemuah

of course, but the one I really want is a different lay out

4. Beej

Beej

Without looking at pics...if it's bookmatched, you could dig out the screw hole a bit to make it irregular, do a nearly identical one on the upper bout, and then fill them both with epoxy to match. If done with care and detail, they could look like they were there in the first place...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Splods

Splods

Because of the nature of the figure, I don't think it could be patched easily, as the grain is quite random. I would suggest finding a way to make the other preamp work.

Why does it need to be re drilled? is it the layout that you don't like? or is there restrictions on distance between pots?

7. Ironfingers

Ironfingers Supporting Member

I would suggest redoing the wiring with longer wire before drilling new holes. I agree with Splods, it's going to be near impossible to make the plugs invisible.

If for some reason you can't replace the entire wire, (i.e. modular plugs or something) you can cut and solder in a length of wire in the middle, and cover the splice with a length of shrink tubing. Just work on one wire at a time and make sure you have a good solder joint.

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    ^ big time the filling will stick out like a sore thumb

9. Beej

Beej

I'm guessing he wants a preamp that has the pots directly mounted to the board and does not allow for easy rewiring?

10. xqusemuah

11. Splods

Splods

I don't think that will work well for you then. I would suggest looking at a different preamp , because I wouldn't want to patch that even if I was Vinny Fodera

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Just desolder pots and switches from the PCB on the preamp and put some short pieces of wire between the PC and pots. Shouldn't be any problem. At least it should be way easier than patching holes in figured wood.

13. xqusemuah

best idea yet, thanks

14. kris pung

kris pung

I'd just use dumbie pots/knobs to fill the holes.