Buffing and polishing fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by elBandito, Dec 8, 2013.

1. elBandito

elBandito

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I wouldn't use anything as high speed as a rotary tool like those fit. Those are more for polishing metal at high speed.

I would sand it starting at 600 and work your way up to 2000. Then go to any auto parts store and get a wool buffing pad like this. Chuck it up in a hand drill and lightly buff out the fretboard, dry with no kind of compound. It should give you a really nice luster.
  3. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

I use micro mesh. Depending on wood and on whether the bass is finished clear gloss or satin, I go all the way up to 12,000 grit or stop at around 3,600/4,000 grit.
  4. elBandito

elBandito

Every other bass I owned with rosewood, ebony or wenge fretboards all had nice shiny "hard" fretboard surface. This new neck I'm working on just looks raw and dry looking. I will try some micro mesh first. Thanks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Zymöl 'Bridge' is a hard carnuba wax primarily marketed for orchestral instruments. I have used it on an ebony fretless fingerboard and liked the result. This might be a nice 'final surface' treatment after the initial smoothing is done.

In my case, and I expect most others, it darkened the wood a bit. Try it on a sample before committing to the real fretboard. You warm it to liquid with your fingers (a little at a time) and rub it into the wood, then polish away any excess before it hardens fully.