Bugera 1960 for bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Koffelito, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Koffelito

Koffelito

Anyone tried this with bass?
  2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls

no. nice looking amp, tho.
  3. Koffelito

Koffelito

It sure is.

I guess its a copy of the Super Lead 100. But how does that amp differs from a Super Bass 100?
  4. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls

maybe some differences in the tone stack....and a different output transformer???
  5. Koffelito

Koffelito

Yeah maybee.

Anyone else who knows something?
  6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

I tried the 1990. Limited tone capabilities but decent tube tone. I emailed Bugera about the 1960 and they said it would definitely work for bass (cleaner and more headroom than the 1990) but it won't be a transparent, totally clean amp (ala GK). I actually am thinking seriously about getting one (my 1960s pop band isn't that loud so 150 tube watts would be plenty for me).
  7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Begera is the brand that beringer uses for its line of drivers, isnt it?
  8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Guitar tube amps have limited frequency response on purpose.
    The first step you do when picking an output transformer is deciding on the frequency response. The wider and lower frequency response needs a bigger more expensive output transformer. They don't bother putting those in guitar amps.
    Maybe it "works" but it's not going to be ideal.
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Yes, and now they use the name for a line of amps as well.
  10. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

can i get a link online to see the head... i had a good experience with my behringer 3000xt bass head... the bugera speakers in my 4 by 10 were crap and muddy though...
  11. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

As I write this, I believe it is still legal in many countries to like the sound of whatever you like the sound of, regardless of how the amp's specs look on paper. I have never seen a sheet of number-filled paper that sounded very good to my ears. I have no idea what the amp in question sounds like, but many people like both the Super Lead and Super Bass .
  12. Koffelito

Koffelito

http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/1960.aspx
  13. Koffelito

Koffelito

I think so too. I will probably buy one so we will see. :D
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

I pulled the trigger on a Bugera 1960 today. Musician's Friend is having a sale on Behringer and Bugera gear if you call and say "Behringer". It's a typical sliding scale sale...if you just buy the 1960, you'll get 12% off and free shipping. If you add something cheap to kick the order over $450 (I bought some picks which were the cheapest item I could find) you get 15% off the entire order. So my Bugera 1960 and some picks cost just over $380 delivered. They're out of stock until "October 23rd" or so but the price is locked in.

The sale ends October 21st at 11 pm PT.
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

My Bugera 1960 arrived today. I used the "OCT20%" code on my call-in order to Musician's Friend and received 20% off and free shipping (total price about $359.99). I'm not sure that free shipping is part of the deal (the 1960 has a add'l shipping charge of $9.99) but they gave it to me anyway. The code expires at the end of the month..

It sounds quite good through my Ampeg 8x10. I didn't get too loud but it's toneful. The hi-treble channel is too bright but might add some flavor if I linked the channels (as is recommended in the manual).

I was greated by some pops and crackles. I'll remove and reinstall the tubes when I have a chance and see if that fixes it...

Speaking of the manual, it lists the power output rating as 150 watts "peak".

Attached Files:

16. theavondon

theavondon

That looks pretty cool.
  17. Koffelito

Koffelito

Nice. Please write of you get any luck with the pops and crackels.

How loud "didn't" it get. IS it equal to a marshall 100 watter?
  18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Can you give an all out review of it? I'm intrigued. Might be a good amp for a bi-amp setup.
  19. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

It has a nice "Vintage" look to it with the ampeg cab..... I have been considering doing some sort of setup like that with my BA210SP since I fried the power amp part of it. It was a pretty weak amp section to begin with, so I am thinking of removing the amp head from the enclosure, making it a cab, and pairing it up with a tube head unit. I had originaly bought it to use when I dont feel like lugging the SVT and the fridge, but it was very weak from the get go. I think that the tube guitar head is a cool alternative as long as it sounds good and is dependable....... I can't think of a tube bass amp on earth that you could buy brand new for under $400.00.
  20. BillyB_from_LZ

Will do...

I wrote that "I" didn't get too loud...the 8x10 will shake the house apart anyway and Mrs. BillyB was upstairs and none-too-happy with me for buying another amp...I didn't want to push my luck any farther than I already have!

I've been meaning to write to Tom Bowlus and/or Vic to suggest that Bass Gear Magazine do a review of one as a bass amp.