Bugera BTX3600 head + Ampeg BSE410H Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Core Bassist, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Core Bassist

Core Bassist

Hey Guys, I had a curious question about my current rig.

I'm currently running a Bugera BTX3600 head through an Ampeg BSE410H cab. They seem to work together, however I can't turn the volume up past a certain point ( usually around 2-4 on the master). Any further and it'll remain sounding the same, is this due to the cab only requiring 200 watts, or is my rig possibly mismatched?

Cheers, Core

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

1- knob position is meaningless.
    2- the cab is rated for 200 watts, that means any more will fry it.
    3- the way you eq the amp is important. Lows eat power, so cut them. Mids are where the volume is, boost them.
    4- Budget gear will not give you the massive thump of a high end rig with top shelf spkr cabs. Understand the limitations of the gear you have, I bet you could get more out of it than you are now.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    It means your cab has reached it's max limits! I had a SWR Goliath Jr. that just would not get any louder no matter how high I turned up the volume. Need more volume, add another cab. As stated above, make sure you're not over eq'ing.

4. modulusman

modulusman

You are using a cab rated at 200 watts with a head that supposedly puts out 3800 in bridge mode. That isn't going to end well.:confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Krugen

Krugen

Never had any good experience with Bugera stuff - cold solder joints, undersized components. Not bad gear overall, but it helps having a toolbox with it at all times.

That being said, that amp does not output 3800W - the cooling on the power transistors would need to be as big as a car radiator to handle that amount of juice - but probably above the 200W your cabinet handles. So everything beyond 2-4 on the master is being dissipated as heat and will eventually damage something.

7. gary m

gary m

Ugh...Bugera/Behrenger. Very iffy. Time to try a different head.

8. Core Bassist

Core Bassist

I actually just recently got the Bugera head & don't mind it. I might see if I can sell it for a different head, though I don't know what to get.

I've also considered keeping the head and simply upgrading my cab.
    Locally I found a gentleman selling two 15" Hartke's that run in parallel, which I've been considering.

9. Krugen

Krugen

A dummy load or another cab would make life easier and the rig safer. Try'em out but be careful to not blow the Hartke cabs. Well, other than that, good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

10. Core Bassist

Core Bassist

I might try the Hartke out, or cave and invest in a new head instead.

I realize that my cab only needing 200 watts means it won't be very loud to begin with. However, I think it might be safer & cheaper to swap out " The Nuke".

I originally only got it, because it was too ridiculous to believe, now that I have it. I've found that the Graphic EQ is super nice to have, but that's no reason to risk my rig.

However, with that being said, does anyone have any suggestions for a new head?

11. Krugen

Krugen

I don't know about investing in a new head. It's gonna be hard to match the value Bugera gives you. Just don't go above that magic setting on the master volume and you should be ok. Now it's all about preferences, but you seem to like it so why change it?
    By the way, 200W through a 410 should be more than enough for a small venue. Plus you have a DI on that thing, so you are covered for bigger places.