Build an oly-white P style fretless maple for around $200

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chuck norriss, Mar 4, 2014.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I'd have to pay a lot to get my ideal oly white Precision with an unlined fretless maple neck. In addition, I'd have to wait forever for one to surface here or evilbay. Screw evilbay. The chances of that happening while I have a few thousand dollars to spend on a bass are slim and none, so here's what I'll do:

1. SX Ursa 1 http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa1rnwt.html
    Good enough for government work. It's alder. It's white. Solid customer support in case anything goes wrong. Buy it, sell the neck on TB or store it for later. $115; sell neck for $50. Maybe sell the pickup for $25. Note to self--keep tuners.

2. EY Parts P-style neck. http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/NewNat...ole-diameter-1750mmfree-shipping-_p_1018.html
    These are nice. I've owned several. As nice or nicer than Squier stuff. Rock hard, no issues, no holes which is fine because I don't want bolt holes in my neck if I'm going to use the Ursa body. I'd rather make them myself. only downside to EY is waiting a month for it to arrive from China. $99

3. Bill Lawrence or another aftermarket pickup if you don't like the Ursa pup, sell it ($25), which I understand is just fine. http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html
    $60

If I sell the Ursa neck & pup that puts me at $200. Used set of flats from TB classifieds, $15-20. $215.
    Bada bing.

2. chuck norriss

This one cost a little more than 2 bills because of the squier body & aftermarket bridge. But to show you I ain't all-hat-no-cattle:

[​IMG]

3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Yeah Chuck. I like the way you think, coming from a minimalist attitude myself. Those EY necks, from photos, sure look to have a different angle at the headstock. Nice to know there is a bare maple fretboard source out there.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

That website seems like a counterfeiters dream come true. They wont be getting my money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

They're similar to the Fender shape.
    btw I have no financial interest in the EY brand or any of these.

7. chuck norriss

I'm not sure what you mean but ok.
    Just sharing info with some folks who may not afford a $10,000< instrument.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Chuck - Have you tried putting an EY neck to an SX body?
    Sounds like a fun project.... If their compatible. Shaving neck heels and/or customizing neck pockets would be to much work for a cheapie bass.

9. Hopkins

This is what I mean.
    http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/LogoInlayDotBinding_c_27.html

There are other websites with cheap guitar parts. I will not give money to a website that sells unauthorized, counterfeit, logos.

10. chuck norriss

that's a good point tangent. no i havne't only on squier bodies. the affinity squier P is also alder & can be found supa cheap.

11. chuck norriss

12. Hopkins

For 10 bucks more you can get a mighty mite and not have to wait for it to be shipped from China. I just cant support that website, when more moral alternatives are available.

13. chuck norriss

Mighty Mite doesn't carry unlined maple fretless.
    People replace Squier decals with Fender decals often but that isn't my concern. As you can see from my photo, I don't use decals--legit nor counterfeit.
    I respect your convictions.

14. chuck norriss

A little research & I found that sx & squier/fender are hit or miss with fitting interchangeable parts. I know for certain that EY, Squier, and Fender are compatible so maybe a white squier p body is the way to go for almost the same price.
    If anyone knows of a way to make an unlined fretless maple, olympic white Precision for less than the cost of a 2-string Wishbass please let me know.

15. Hopkins

Well that is a good reason to buy from them. Yeah I kind of knew that you weren't going to throw a bootleg decal on it, seeing as though you didn't even know those were on the website :D

16. chuck norriss