1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building a 2x10 bass cabinet!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nelgar93, Jan 8, 2014.

1. nelgar93

nelgar93

Hello there, I'm new here, but I used talkbass forum for many years, but now I need your help for something very nice (hopefully).
    As the title I should (I would, actually) build my own 2x10 cab.
    At the very beginning I wanted something like 1x10 + 1x12 + 1x1", but I think it gets a bit harder to make (you'll tell me, right?), so I am going to build a 2x10" cab.

Didn't want to spend a lot of money, but looking on speaker prices and "accessories" prices, it is true that you can make a very good cab with less money than buying it...
    I mean, if you plan everything in a good way, you will have something that fits pretty much perfectly.

My bass head is an Ashdown Little Giant 1000:
    http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/18/Legacy/100/Little-Giant-1000/

Going to use Eminence Delta 10B speakers as long as they are very cheap and are actually nice:
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_10B.pdf

And I'm going to ask you guys, what kind of tweeter should I put on it? And follows what kind of crossover should I use?

I'd like to have the one that fits perfectly, if this is possible.

I hope I get informations from you! :ninja:
    Tell me as much as you can! :D
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Where are you located? That can really affect prices/availability, etc.
  4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I agree that the Faital is a better choice. And you might want to try it without a tweeter---it goes pretty high and is a lot smoother than the Eminence.
  5. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

No experience with Faital, but the Delta10x are awful for electric bass.
    I own several, and they are killer for 100 Hz and up, and virtually unusable below that.
    They run out of linear excursion very quickly.
  6. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

They can sound pretty good. I just got rid of a 2x10 with those in it, and it worked out fine for my rig. The speakers have plenty of highs, I wouldn't worry about a tweeter for those.

Honestly, I loaded a Peavey cab with the Beta 10A's. It sounds better.

I would look at the Eminence Legend's - Legend BP102-8 for 4ohm cab, or Legend BP102-4 for 8ohm cab. If starting over.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I haven't had one in hand yet, but I think it is a good choice for "affordable diy" basic 8ohm 210's, and should be bright enough for a lot of players on its own. One stickler about diying basic 210's is that the vast majority of off-the-shelf drivers that have a good "middle ground" ratio of performance vs. price are 8 ohms.

The 8 ohm version of the same driver is so different.....really high Q and better suited to sealed cabs.....odd. You can't change the coil without affecting a lot of other stuff but those 2 are so different it makes me wonder why they even have the same nomenclature/name/model designation or whatever.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The Beta ain't bad, I use them in my vocal wedges and can give a little "thump" if need be. They don't make the 16ohm versions anymore though, so you're still left with having a 4 or 16ohm 210. Personally, I'd opt for the 16ohm if using Betas, unless one has an extremely small amp and does small gigs, or a tube amp with no 16ohm tap.

The 4ohm Faital I linked to could also make a pretty decent 210+tweet woof/tweet/woof layout for PA tops. It looks smooth and reaches plenty high without big breakup spikes, etc., assuming the individual drivers fall in a decent margin of error from the measured one.
  9. nelgar93

nelgar93

Umh, I think that I'm looking for something that goes with low, low-mids and highs, and I'm not looking for high-mids because I don't like them heh!
    Anyways, what about putting 2 different speakers? I mean, what about 1 Eminence Delta 10B (for mids and highs) and something else for lows?

Eminence Delta 10B cost is about 60€ (near 80$), but it is about 350w at 16ohm, and I wanted a 8ohm 2x10 cab, so I need 2 16ohm drives to reach this!
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Putting differing drivers, operating within the same pass band, on the same baffle is not a good idea.