Building a Bass: Where does one start?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Splintered Skul, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I've started coming across more articles where people are building their own basses or piecing them together. This seems like it would be a fun and rewarding thing to do sometime in one's life. But where exactly do you start? And how will they sound?

I'm aware of some who design and make their own bodies/necks/headstocks from scratch, but i have nowhere near enough skill or the tools to do such a thing. I think i would be looking for a "piece together" project where i would do the finishing myself. Where are good places to get parts like the body, neck, headstock, hardware etc.? Any good diagrams you've found for wiring the pickups and such? I know this is something that would take a lot of time and money down the road, but i think it would be cool to delve into the idea. I'm just not sure how to approach it. Links and thread redirections much appreciated :)
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The easy way is to buy a kit or to build a parts bass.

The hard way is to start with chunks of wood ...
  3. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Read the stickies at the top of this subforum, then buy one of the books.
  5. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    What pilotjones said is the best advice one can give.

As for wiring diagrams, Seymour Duncan's website has about all of the wiring diagrams that you will ever need, and they are well put together and easy to read. Good luck!

Also, read through as many built threads as you can. They contain a wealth of information and knowledge to glean.