1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building a kind of Spiros set

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Levin, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Levin

Levin

Hi! Am buying some barely used Spiro Mittels for my E and A, a Dominant G and a zyex d for a bargain.
    I play mostly modern jazz but the occacional orchestral gig, with a lot of other places where bowing is needed.
    I was thinking of buying a classified stark E! and changing the zyex after a while, any thoughts? Mittel and Stark make for good bowing compared to Weichs in my experience, and I love the Dominant g-string but have only played those, not E-A-D.
    Shouild I maybe get a D-dominant string? Or something else? Hit me!
    I play quite hard but would like to play as versatile as possible and I really lika the Stark E And Dominant G.
  2. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Zyex bow nicely imho, but the question will be "how well do they fit together as a set?"

I like to have a very similar feel and response from string to string. I don't like mixing steel strings with synthetic or gut but there are many people who do.

I think that if you are getting the strings cheap enough it won't hurt to experiment. You can always sell strings that don't work for you.

Good luck!

Joe
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Try whatever you want. Only you and your bass will know the results!
  4. Levin

Levin

Yeah, I know. That's why I would like to change the Zyex after testing it for a while.

I like that too! I just don't know what to get. It will probably be a dominant d-string or spiros weich, dunno.

Haha yeah I know...
  5. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

As always with this kind of question, and bear in mind I don't really see the point of mixing strings (unless on a budget and buying used singles), I recommend going fully Dominant. If you like the Stark E, you will love the Dominant E. Same diameter, different internals, but incredibly strong and not as "metal" as Spiro. As for the rest, the A and D are really sweet as well.

And as for the original headline, if you want a "kind of Spiros set" but W/o spiros, Dominant fits the bill best IMO.

Just my opinion...
    Best
    Sidecar
  6. Treyzer

Treyzer

Plus 1000 Eric!
  7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I think it's useful to bear in mind the nature of the potential interactions. Suppose you settle on a particular E and A in combination with some D and G. If you go changing the D and G, you will likely find that the responses of your E and A have changed. That makes sense when you consider how swapping strings can change the load on the top.

As Eric suggests, play around and find out. Personally, I've never been happy with a mixed set. I place a premium on a consistent overall sound and feel string-to-string. To each his own. :)

I agree with MrSidecar. In fact, I'd have Doms on my bass right now if it weren't for the breakage issue.
  8. Levin

Levin

Yeah! But that's how it is, I don't have money for a anything but classified strings right now :)
    What I want is to get a full dominant of course! They seem to be what I want.
    Some say they don't like the dominant E and sometimes A-string, I wonder why.