1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building a MM 5 string copy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rigz, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rigz

Rigz

Hey everyone! I'm needing a bit of advice on what to do with this new project. A friend I mine gave me the neck and body of a Stingray copy, no maker on the headstock possibly a warmoth, and I need direction! I've owned nothing but a couple lower end basses and I'm striving to make this guitar the best possible bass she can be.

As far as pickups, I'm not looking for something such as a pre-ernie ball musicman tone. I'm looking for something with good midrange that packs a punch. I want a lot of definition and clarity from the pickups. I want it to cut well through two other guitar players. I'm very inexperienced with this sort of thing, so excuse all my questions.

The pots he gave me have a 3-band preamp attached, if an unknown maker, and I'm wondering if I should go the route of installing a preamp. Any and all advice GREATLY appreciated.

Example tone:

http://youtu.be/ZM-r-rRY8ao

Bass sounds great and cuts throughout, with a clear example @6:30. I know he's using an American spector.
  2. Gjbl

Gjbl

I tried to do this but there's a giant road block... The bridge ... No one but Lakland and mm make Them and that's what keeps the low b so taught there's no better 5 string for feel because of the angles used in that bridge I've been hunting for just a bridge offering hundreds of dollars plus badass bridge replacement to dozens of people. It's impossible to find. Best of luck
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Building Frankensteined basses is a lot of fun ...

You can get a lot of parts on ebay.

Seymour Duncan makes a good Stingray 3 band preamp.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member