Building a MM 5 string copy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rigz, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rigz

Rigz

Hey everyone! I'm needing a bit of advice on what to do with this new project. A friend I mine gave me the neck and body of a Stingray copy, no maker on the headstock possibly a warmoth, and I need direction! I've owned nothing but a couple lower end basses and I'm striving to make this guitar the best possible bass she can be.

As far as pickups, I'm not looking for something such as a pre-ernie ball musicman tone. I'm looking for something with good midrange that packs a punch. I want a lot of definition and clarity from the pickups. I want it to cut well through two other guitar players. I'm very inexperienced with this sort of thing, so excuse all my questions.

The pots he gave me have a 3-band preamp attached, if an unknown maker, and I'm wondering if I should go the route of installing a preamp. Any and all advice GREATLY appreciated.

Example tone:

http://youtu.be/ZM-r-rRY8ao

Bass sounds great and cuts throughout, with a clear example @6:30. I know he's using an American spector.
  2. Gjbl

Gjbl

I tried to do this but there's a giant road block... The bridge ... No one but Lakland and mm make Them and that's what keeps the low b so taught there's no better 5 string for feel because of the angles used in that bridge I've been hunting for just a bridge offering hundreds of dollars plus badass bridge replacement to dozens of people. It's impossible to find. Best of luck
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Building Frankensteined basses is a lot of fun ...

You can get a lot of parts on ebay.

Seymour Duncan makes a good Stingray 3 band preamp.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member