1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building a new bass. How would you wire these electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big B., Nov 25, 2012.

1. Big B.

Big B.

Hi guys, I could use some sage pickup wisdom here.

I finally have gotten around to building a bass for myself for once and I'm not completely sure about the best way to wire the setup I have.

First the bass in question:

[​IMG][/IMG]

As you can see it's a pretty modern looking bass and the tone needs to suit. The electronics I have are:

a Delano Sonar 3 band pre with mid selector switch.

a Delano SBC 5HE/S dual coil bridge pickup.

a Delano SBC 5HE/S4 quad coil neck pickup.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic with the electronics in place:

[​IMG][/IMG]

From front to back the layout is Volume, Pickup Blend, Treble, Mid, and Bass. The switch is a three way switch for selecting the center frequency for the mid control.

So now to my quesion: Obviously I know how to build a bass but wiring and electronics are not my strong suit and I've not personally owned a bass with quad coil pickups though I have wired in a couple of quad coil Delano Xtenders. Those were single pickups though and simply had to hit a three way on/on/on switch before the volume pot. I assume I'll need a separate 3 way switch for the quad coil and that it's output will wire to the blend knob along with the dual coil bridge pickup. (If I'm assuming wrong feel free to correct me.)

My other question is about the quad coil itself. Obviously my first inclination is to just place the pickups in the neck and bridge as marked and go with that. On the other hand my understanding of the quad coil neck pickup is that it's main goal is to offset the coils making the neck pickup function like a P bass pickup. (Again, if I'm assuming wrong please correct me) I dont really care for a P bass sound and my intuition tells me that the closer the quad coil is to the bridge the more of an impact the different settings will have to the sound. You'll also notice my bridge pickup is placed quite close to the bridge. I'm tempted to swap the pickups and try the quad coil in the bridge position instead just to see how it sound. Before I do that though it would be silly not to pose this question to my TB brethren and get some thoughts.

(Oh, and in case you are wondering why I bought two pickups without knowing how I want to wire them, I got the pair for less than 200$ in the TB classifieds.:bassist:)

Thanks for taking your time to follow along.

B.
  2. dmusic148

dmusic148

Wow, stunning bass. Beautiful, love the position markers.
    I'm with you- I have no experience with these pickups but I'd be inclined to put the quad at the bridge simply because I think it would be more useful there(single-coil, humbucker, and Music Man tones may be possible).
    As far as offsetting coils to get a 'P' like tone at the neck - I doubt the coils are wide enough to give this effect properly anyway, so that's a wash.
    And yes, switch before the blend.
  3. Big B.

Big B.

Thanks man, those markers are one of my standard features, one of the few things I havent seen on another bass yet.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards putting the quad at the bridge too. Just seems more appropriate for the sounds I'm looking for.