Building a Post-Hardcore/Metalcore Rig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LLlife, Jan 10, 2013.

1. LLlife

LLlife

Hey all! I'm in the process of getting my rig all set up and I was just wondering what else I should add to it. I currently have an Ampeg 4x10, GK Backline 600, and a Fender Jazz with active pickups. I have all the basic components of the rig down, but I'm starting to look into rack cases and different effects that will improve my tone. I'm still a novice when it comes to building rigs and getting a good tone etc etc, so I was wondering if anyone could make an suggestions as to what effects would be useful and why? Thanks!

(Gideon, Fit For a King, From Atlantis, The Plot In You, just naming some bands similar to the genre I play just so you all have a reference point :))

2. thebass905

thebass905

My first immediate thought would be an overdrive or distortion pedal! Look into the cheap, aggressive ad widely available Boss ODB-3... Though many around here consider it to be noisy. The Darkglass Electronics B3K is another (significantly more expensive) option. It is often considered the "holy grail" of dark and aggressive pedals. But there are a billion options, so.do some research and figure out what works for you! Good luck on finding the sound in your head!

3. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

I'm in a post hardcore band, I've tried a few overdrives, settled on the B3K and a 6 band equalizer. You can punch through any mix. We've got 2 guitarists, 2 singers, synth and drums, I've got no problem being heard.

For extreme bite, I have an IE Oxide fuzz. Very nasty evil pair.

For some further texture, I've got a loop running the Behringer BSY600 on pulse wave, a Catalinbread Heliotrope clone, and a Boss DS-1. With the proper mix I get an extremely growly chainsaw buzz, think Nine Inch Nails' "We're in this together" sound.

A light Chorus can add some flavor too. It really depends what sound you're going for.

My board

[​IMG]

4. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

If you want to go with a rack unit, I'd go with a tuner, a Furman power conditioner, and a drawer (maybe a single). You could even add a preamp in there for extra flavor. A BBE B-Max or Sansamp RBI will work wonders.

You could get enough dirt from a rackmount preamp that you wouldn't need to worry about a pedal, at least not for post-hardcore/metalcore.

If you want to go with pedals, then I suggest a Turbo Tuner and maybe a boost pedal to give you more oomph. OD/Distortion/Fuzz can sometimes be an endless search. For post-hardcore/metalcore, you don't need anything over-the-top.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slend3r

slend3r

I'd recommend a good compressor, like the EBS Multicomp, and a EQ pedal. Then you can either you use the EQ pedal as a preamp to shape your tone or as a boost pedal. I don't really recommend rack gear, but that's just my preference.

Also maybe some sort of dirt/fuzz pedal, but like Pelican said that can be an endless search. I don't find myself using that much modulation either, so I wouldn't start there.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have a G30 wireless, Turbo Tuner, Subdecay Supernova Drive and a Catalinbread SFT this then goes into a Matamp GT200 and 8x10

The amp is the the most important thing to the sound and I'm having a Matamp preamp made for when we record.

I could do it without fx, the SFT is nice for break downs but the Subdecay is barely used anymore, I was thinking of maybe trying a delay pedal in its place for weird stuff between songs.

Not sure, I tried a Dod Meatbox, but it terrified me at volume and I tune to a Low G# so focusing more on custom strings and decent setups.

But it's interesting to see what other guys are using always seemed like post anything was a dirty word on forums, but to me music is music and I enjoy playing with the guys I play with regardless of what we play.

8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

SansAmp. Best bass tone for heavy stuff in my personal opinion. I'm in a metalcore band as well and the way I have mine set up, sits so well with the hi gain, and still plenty of oomph for breakdowns and syncopated parts. I could record a few seconds of me playing if you'd like to hear my example. Maybe it'll help?

9. crack-boom

crack-boom

I have an American Fender Jazz bass -> X2 wireless -> Korg Pitchblack -> Catalinbread SFT -> Sansamp BDDI -> GK800RB into an old Peavey 4x10 cab.

Doesn't really matter what amp I use as long as it's loud and clean enough.

I have the SFT and BDDI on 100% of the time and get a really gnarly distortion which cuts through everything. The SFT has a real sensitive break up so when I play softly I get a slight overdrive but not like when I lay into my strings.

I should record this and get some samples up soon! I really love the tone I have.

EDIT: Pic.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Soundcloud.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  10. LLlife

LLlife

Some more novice questions here; what exactly is a preamp? I hear this term thrown around a lot, and I'm assuming it's something you put before your amp head, but what exactly does it do? Also what's the benefit of having a power conditioner? (Again apologies for the novice questions!)

11. LLlife

LLlife

That would be great!

12. LLlife

LLlife

Also I'm still having trouble finding a good rack mount tuner (because looks like Korg discontinued them) and a good compression rack mount. If anyone can link me up to a rack mount tuner and fairly simple to use compressor I'd really appreciate it :) (Keep in mind I'm using a rack case, so I'd prefer rack mounts, not pedals)

13. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Here ya go. This turned out to be a pretty good example of my sound, obviously hearing my rig in person would demonstrate the low end authority it has, but this is pretty close, especially of you have a subwoofer with your computer speakers ;) And it's tuned and set up for C standard tuning. Now, bear one thing in mind, if you're using an active bass, you're gonna wanna roll off the highs quite a bit thru a SansAmp being used like this. That's my Ric 4003 (which is passive) on the bridge pickup on full with the tone knob all the way up. When I use my MusicMan SUB (which is active bass/treble boost), I gotta turn both the bass and treble off to get an agreeable sound, but the SansAmp takes over amazingly for EQ.

EDIT: this is a streaming link, you can download it if you like as well though
    https://www.box.com/s/4chlxdg1de76lj1dkxp9

14. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

i play post hardcore. my bassist uses a sansamp into an ashdown for his main tone. also keeps a gate and a tuner on his board. cant be feeding back or be out of tune. also uses the fishman fission to fill out sections where i dont play chords.

some sort of compression, be it from overdrive or a standard compressor would help fill up the mix.