Building a PVC EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by MX5J6, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

I have been thinking about this the last few days. I have seen a few really old threads and pics of some already built but cannot find any kind of real instructions. i was hoping someone here knew where i could find some or has some knowledge on the subject. Can this even be done? Or would the string tension be too much for the PVC to handle?

I'd appreciate all the help and advice I can get.
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

PVC being a plastic is prone to plastic deformation. Even if it could handle the string tension initially, I suspect it would tend to fail over time.
  3. MX5J6

MX5J6

You may have a point there. Would any kind of reinforcement to the PVC help at all or does this idea just have too many holes in the plan to warrant spending money on trying it?
  4. RSBBass

RSBBass

I guess that would depend on your design and what parts you had on hand. The big expenses of an EUB are the hardware and the pickup system. Subing some PVC for a block of wood does not strike me as a big savings.
  5. MX5J6

MX5J6

Well the way i see it is, if i were to build an EUB even for a couple hunna, if it works and is sturdy and won't just break into pieces, i have saved money already. i have a fascination with building instruments, this idea really cought my eye, but some of the wood designs I have seen people come up with are pretty amazing.
  6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

I knew I had a copy of the instructions. Used to be on the harmony-central.com forum, but the thread no longer has the attachments.

Good luck, if you try it. Post a recording.

Attached Files:

7. MX5J6

MX5J6

Thank you! i have been looking for those instructions everywhere!