1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Building a Rack (Alembic and Crest)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hennessybass, Feb 14, 2014.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Hey all... this will be my first rack rig, and just wanted to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I have an Alembic F-1X on the way, and I am thinking of buying a Crest Pro Lite 2.0 for my power amp. Anyone see any problems there?

I plan on running the Power amp bridged. Cab will be a Berg CN212, and maybe down the road a pair of 8ohm GB Bassics.

Speaker cable will be with a standard 2 pole Speakon cable.

Should I just use a standard 1/4" instrument type cable to connect the pre to the power, or is there any advantage in using a TRS 1/4" to an XLR cable?

Also,,, anyone see any problems using this... http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Dual-IEC...UTF8&qid=1392402244&sr=1-6&keywords=iec cable

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Standard 1/4" cable is fine.

My only recommendation would be to consider adding an outboard EQ to give yourself a little additional flexibility. The Alembic F-1x is an amazing, warm sounding preamp - but not the most versatile on its own. I've used mine with a rack parametric EQ for almost 15 years and couldn't be happier.

Lonnybass

3. hennessybass

Thanks. My #1 amp right now is a 70s Fender Bassman 100, so I am pretty familiar with the Fender Tone Stack. Looking for that tone, but more powerful / road worthy / lighter / DI out / 8 and 4ohm taps.

I have considered something like an Empress Paraeq for a little more tone control, but have not needed it yet.

4. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

You will need a specially wired bridge mono cable from the power amp to the speaker cabinet. You can research it on here and there is also an excellent video on youtube by Dino M. from Ampeg that tells how to make one. Its not difficult, especially if you have speakon connections at both ends. But you may already know that. Also, I ran an F1-X with an Alembic SF2 in the Effects Loop for years. It was killin, very flexible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bgavin

bgavin

I own the Crest Prolite2, and it has an input sensitivity of 0.775 volts. Nice.
    The F1X I owned a long time ago was a nice rig, but I could not adjust to the passive Fender tone stack.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/good-source-crest-amps-998057/#post14588815

This is a link to a Prolite2 thread you might find informative.
    I got mine for $325 shipped from www.audiosavings.com as an "open box" model.
    It came with the full 5-year, non-transferrable warranty.
    I'm delighted with the Prolite2.

7. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    My main amp for almost 20 years was my Alembic F2B and a mix of power amp. Started with a Crown DC300a, then a Crown PSA2 onto a BGW750 then a Carvin DCM1500..
    I had a Neve pre for a short time in there.
    Just last week i pulled that rig out and WOW.. Teh Alembic pre sounds great. At times i wish i had a little more EQ options.. But 86% of the time im good with the BMT controls..
    Teh Alembic pre had great round bottom with an open top end.
    I know that i will start a flame war.. Hopefully not .. But all power amps DO NOT sound the same.. Gain Structured etc etc etc.. etc etc etc..
    My fave amp was my old Crown PSA2.. or the Crown MA1200.. . I have played on demos the QSC lightweight amps.. and to all in the test room the PSA2 and MA1200 had more vavava voooom than the lightweight amps. . Will the audience notice it. most likely NO.

That said if i were to buy a new amp CREST is killer good IMO and the Prolite 2.0 may be the way to go.

8. aledeville

aledeville

It's 300W @8Ohm per Channel. I'd probably go a bit higher, considering this is ClassD and needs some extra headroom (to remember - clipping is somehow not possible).

I have the Fender TBP-1 and need no other EQ possibility than the one it has. In fact, I don't even use the additional one-knob EQ on it. YMMV...

9. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I have a Demeter 201 and a Stewart WT1200 and it sounds really sweet. Mine in ancient and has two inputs for hi or lo impedance. There are also mini-pots in the inside where you can balance the inputs so you can match passive and active instrument input signals. Really great when you are using an active and passive bass during a gig.

10. hennessybass

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I plan on bridging the amp, so should be 1160W at 8 ohms.

Funny, on the peavey news release, it does not list 8ohms bridged as an option, but on the crest site it does... http://www.peaveycommercialaudio.com/products.cfm/Power-Amplifiers/Pro-LITE-Series/Pro-LITE-2.0

11. hennessybass

I am having a bit of trouble finding info on the Pro Lite 2. If you click on the manual on the crest site, it only contains info on the 5.0 or 7.5.

But I found this video, and it looks like the 2.0 has a bridged output that is 1 + 1-

Here is the video,, check at about 4:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aSaAXP1U4c

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

You're probably fine using a plain TS-TS cable between your pre and amp, but it's not going to hurt anything to use a TRS-XLR balanced cable. It'll reduce noise, and in some situations that may be a very good thing.

I always try to use balanced cables where both ends are hooking up to equipment built for it. If either end of the cable is going to an unbalanced input or output, there's no use.

Sure, a TRS-XLR cable is somewhat of a specialized thing, you're not going to find a spare as easily if needed at a bad time; but if this stuff is going to live in a rack mount, that cable shouldn't be getting knocked around anyway.

Edited to add - I just assumed that the F1X has a 1/4" TRS balanced out, but maybe it doesn't...... not seeing anything that specifically says balanced or not.......