1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building an attenuator - problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by drewfunk, Dec 28, 2012.

1. drewfunk

drewfunk

Hey guys, so i'm building a power attenuator for cutting the output on my Fender Pro Junior for quiet recording, and have run into an issue. I am following the build guide here

I got it all wired up, double checked everything, hooked it up to my amp, and now i get no sound out of my speaker, just some amp hum. Anything i should look for? The only thing i did differently was use a stereo attenuator, but only used one side of it.
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Might have to wire the two sides of the Lpad in parallel or series to let the signal through, but that would change your impedance. Should've ordered the 8ohm mono L-pad as instructed.

Those things aren't all that robust with fullrange signal but may be OK for a 15watt amp, although it can put out close to 30 when cranked into distortion. I'd probably get the 100 watter just for a safety margin.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

if your getting no sound then the wiring is incorrect.

or you have a bad solder connection.

or you might have made a solder bridge somewhere that is shorting out somewhere. maybe the case of the Lpad

or the lugs coming of the Lpad are touching the metal case somewhere.

but sometimes solder connections look good but they are not.
    keep the tip clean and get things hot enough so the solder flows nicely. cold solder joints are usually the culprit.

or you switched the order of the lugs, so you might have connected it 3 2 1 instead of 1 2 3 or vice versa.

which would be important since one lug is for ground
    and the others for the switch, so if any is reversed nothing is gonna work.
  4. drewfunk

drewfunk

I'm 99.9 percent sure all the wiring is correct, but i will check all the solder joints tonight.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

One picture is worth 1000 words...;)
  6. dmusic148

dmusic148

If you're getting hum through the speaker, but nothing else, something is really wrong, because that says the amp is working and connected. Like your guitar cable is bad or something.
  7. drewfunk

drewfunk

If i unplug the attenuator and run the speaker directly to the amp it works just fine, the instrument cable is ok.

I will take some pictures tonight of the wiring.