Building car ramp for 8x10 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lazerviking, Dec 4, 2012.

1. lazerviking

lazerviking

Sometimes an extra person isn't around to help you out. I drive an old Subaru wagon which fits my 8x10 + amp and bass in the back with seats folded down just fine, but always need a hand with the cab. To ease this load/unload process, today a friend and I will be constructing a "ramp".

Pictures to come!

2. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

not easier to just tip it?

3. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I think a ramp would make it more difficult. I am able to get mine into an SUV by tipping the top into the back and then lifting the cab from the bottom to slide it in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

I do the same with my immense 2x15 cabinet...works just fine :bassist:

7. lazerviking

lazerviking

Update:
    My friend took my idea above and beyond and we started on a "sled" type of thing. Think morgue tray. Bottom piece is custom fit to the bed of my car, then the top has sleds underneath and the bottom has a guide. Slides out, then down to ground level. There will be a catch for the wheels, so then as you push it all just slides back in. I will have pictures up when it is all done! And has only cost me the price of wood (cheap).

8. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I end up leaving my big heavy 410 at home for most gigs because I don't have the extra hands to help navigate that awkward bulk down/up stairs and into a small car. One time I tried to tip it in my car like others have mentioned above, and put some decent scuffs on my car bumper. I guess tipping the 410 isn't the same as tipping an 810 considering the height difference between the two cabs, though.

9. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

When I was using a Mesa 215, I coincidentally was driving a Subaru wagon. What I did was install two small swivel casters on the top/side of the cabinet. I could then tip the thing sideways, and roll it into the back no sweat.

10. lazerviking

lazerviking

I used to play with two 2x15's, those weren't bad to move around. Tipped them both on their sides and put them next to each other with plenty of room for my amp and bass. Surprising amount of storage space in these cars.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

When i used to haul 810s, i always used the tip and push method. Always. Anything else just caused complications, extra gear to haul around, more difficulty in getting the job done, and more time expended.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

To the OP: Is your cab already equipped with skid rails?

13. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I'm 55 and still haul an 810 in a Saturn Vue with an SVT4pro and three basses and some lighting equipment.

14. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A Subiewag is low enough to the ground that you should be able to tip&push, just sayin'.....

15. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

After watching that video a ramp seems like extra work and where would you fit it? that Subaru can't be that big?

17. darius8

darius8

What Subaru do you drive, I got the Forester. I love my Forester, lots of room for 2 810's.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My old 2x15 is a bit of a pain to deal with on stairs but it's not a problem to wrangle into my wagon. Tip push wriggle push wriggle push in. Probably not doing the carpet any favours but who cares, not me.

19. darius8

darius8

Here's your solution for only $50, Northern Industrial Tools 12 Volt Utility Winch :

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indu..._2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1354701559&sr=1-2

Bolt this winch down inside, on the floor behind the driver's seat somewhere. When it's time to load up just tip the cab towards the liftgate, hook-up the winch to the cab, start the winch while guiding the cab inside.
    Of course this only helps with the loading in but off-loading should be easy by hand.

20. darius8

darius8

21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Pastry rolling pin, 5 bucks from kitchen supplies isle.