Building custom Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by artisan87, Jan 8, 2013.

1. artisan87

artisan87

Hey community. I have read here for years, but this is one of my first posts.

Anyways I am considering building a custom bass Cab for my Gallien-Krueger backline 600, 300 wt 4 ohm load minimum amp head.

This pieces I am considering are simple. A Celestion BL10-200X 10" 8 Ohm Bass Guitar Speaker 200W for speaker, then just attaching 1/4" Male-to-Spade cable running pos/neg and directly thru a hole in the back of the box.

I am decent at woodworking, so building the box is not so much the problem, I am just not very knowledgeable when it comes to speakers. The main idea is to make 2 cabs that work well, don't weigh a ton, and I can make for relatively inexpensive. (Around a 3rd of the price of a pre-built speaker cab of similar value)

Has anyone used these Celestion speakers inside of a cab before? Or any advice on if they will work with this setup. Is there anything I did not take into consideration, or anything wrong with this setup? I plan on reading up more on box building, but overall I would like some general advice and input on this operation.

Apologies if this is long winded, thanks for reading. :bassist:
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Can't speak about that particular speaker, but can tell you that you will almost NEVER make your own cab cheaper then buying one already made.

Sure you can make one cheaper, but it will most likely NOT be comparable.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Cups are available with 1/4" jacks to make the build cleaner. Have you modeled the cab dims yet?
  4. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

disagree
  5. artisan87

artisan87

No I haven't at all. I am still determining the size of speaker I need, Then I will look at some model ideas.
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I'm not just talking tone.

For the homemade cab to be comparable in sound, construction, fit & finish, it will cost more (unless of course you already own a woodworking shop or at least all the tool - so you have to factor that cost into it too).
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    What are your spl requirements?

A single 10 would get you about loud enoigh to play with an Acoustic duo in a coffeehouse.

A 210 would hang in a tame blues trio.

410 cover most gigs. Fill a typical bar room with the rig, etc.
  9. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

can you be more specific what your tone goals are as well as your budget? You'd need 2 of them to get 4 ohms, which would give you a cab suitable for smaller gigs and rehearsals.

Looking at the T/S at Parts Express they seem to have a pretty high resonant frequency so probably not a lot of low end with these.

If you're looking for something at that price range I'd probably go with the Eminence Beta 10CX (get a piezo HF driver as a plug) in a ~3 cu ft cab tuned around 60 Hz per Eminence's suggested box builds.
  10. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

+1
  11. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

12. artisan87

artisan87

Hmm I see. Yeah I was planning on building 2 separate cabs each with a 10" speaker. But if I end up buying 4 to 8 speakers then the price increases pretty rapidly, not just extra parts, but the overal size of the cab as well. My initial Idea might not be enough power 4 ohms split into two 8ohm cabs, I am a bass tone junkie for sure, I like a large range of tone from punchy, mids, and a decent amount of thump. Price range would hopefully be around $150 per cab. I might just have to deal with what I have, or give in an buy a whole new cab.
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Move up to 12's and a quality 212 will do what the typical 410 does with only having to buy 2 speakers. Look for ones that run around 97db or better or are capable of taking some power in the lows.

FWIW I've been doing all my bar/club gigs with 200 or 300 watts and a pair of Deltalite neo's (Eminence). That will carry a typical bar room on it's own and cover the stage at larger stuff where you're in the PA.

Not saying build the same rig, just giving an idea of how much rig will play how much gig.
  14. artisan87

artisan87

Thanks, yeah 2 10's or 12's should be enough for a Bar scene or a few outdoor gigs, especially running thru a P.A. If I start doing larger gigs I might need somthing more, until then I will try to work out my schematics for a custom built. The wiring might be trickier, it seems simple, unless there is anything I am overlooking? the only male spade cable I can find right off is this $20 planet waves or $30 monster. Cables are crucial for best tone, but anyone know of an inexpensive cable that works well, or a better way to search for this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-spade-lug-premium-speaker-cable?src=3WWRWXGP
  15. Joedog

Joedog

For around that $300 (maybe less) you should be able to build ONE TL606 cab fitted with a good 15". You could add another down the road if needed. You need to make sure the cab and speaker are a good match (no matter what speaker type/size), or you could be wasting time and $$$, and end up very disapointed. Then again, for $300, you can likely find a nice quality used cab. Building your own stuff is very cool though....unless it turns out like crap.
  16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Cables aren't the least bit "crucial" for stellar tone as long as they work.

To add some context to my gig rig description there, that would be for carrying smallish places where 60-80 people means it's full....doing I guess you call it classic rock bit not metal (Tom Petty, ZZ Top, etc.) with a little motown or country mixed in depending on the crowd. A typical 210 would run out of steam but the 212 does a nice job. Bigger stuff than that I put us all in my PA.

You can make your own speaker cables as good as any company can, just use quality connectors, and don't use anything heavier than 16 guage inside the cab, 18's enough really. Don't get caught up in the "magic cable" stuff...it's a waste of money.
  17. artisan87

artisan87

That is part of the motivation, it sound like a fun project. I even have some sweet Vinyl Alligator skin to finish it. The reason I want two instead of one 15" or 18" is partially the size. I hate carrying around a 55+ lb cab. I drive a toyota pickup In Oregon (it rains all the time). So I would need to put them inside the cab of the truck most of the time. Lastly; not positive, but a friend who owns the same amp (GK Backline 600) told me I needed two cabs for this head, or I could blow one of them.
  18. artisan87

artisan87

Thanks for the input. Not trying to start an argument, but I disagree. I know its not important to get a $50 mogami, but a ****** cable sounds ******, and breaks way quicker. Whereas a a nicer cable is more solid, and sounds more crisp and clean.

I am not too experienced with wiring, and making cables. What kind of tools would I need? A wire stripper and some pliers, maybe some solder and soldering iron?
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Your friend is mistaken, though it could blow a little single 10 if you turn up too much.

Aside from buying a used camper shell/cover for the back of your truck, a situation like that is where DIY really pays off. You can design to fit your own specific needs as yourself is the onoy one you have to please, not thousands of other customers.

FWIW, a quality 12 can do about what an older "regular" 15 did at roughly between 1/2 & 2/3 the cab size. Talking 94-ish db, stock, heavy box 15's there, not JBL's or nothin'.
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    That's pretty much it.

As far as the wire goes, as long as it's of a high enough purity to call it copper, it's copper and always will be.

It's cheap insulation or more often, cheap connectors that make a cable crappy. A lot of cheap chinese stuff is made of softer, weaker metal that will fail with regular use. Hold one of those in one hand and a good Switchcraft, Neutrik, or CTS or something good in the other hand and the difference is obvious.