1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building my G&L SB-1...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappas0211, Nov 25, 2013.

1. pappas0211

pappas0211 Supporting Member

Here's what I'm wanting. I'm doing a #8 neck, birdseye neck, matching headstock, light vintage tint satin neck, and probably a 3 ply pg.

Here's my stopping point. I have it down between 3 colors I want. And only these 3.

Margarita metallic over alder
    Clear forest green over swamp ash
    Greenburst over swamp ash

I've done a lot of looking at different basses and such, but I'm wanting to hear from the TBers who own these 3 color of basses. Maybe see some pics and whatnot. I'm completely stuck between those 3 colors. Any help/suggestions would be great!
  2. msact

msact Supporting Member

I love my Greenburst but I am not sure it would look nearly as good with a pick guard. In this case I would probably go with one of the other colors. Bursts tend to look best on something like an L2000.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

4. pappas0211

I actually use that generator all the time. And I'm still torn.
  5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Well, swamp ash and alder are going to sound a little different. Also, the last time I ordered a G&L, I told them I wanted it to be not too heavy. They told me I should choose alder. My best sounding G&L is swamp ash but it's heavy.

As for color, that's purely personal and you're the only one in the end that has to live with it.

What color pickguard are you thinking of with each of those?
  6. pappas0211

I am looking at 3 ply black for now. But that could change depending on what would fit right with the bass color.
  7. msact

msact Supporting Member

Just a few thoughts:

1. For a bass with a PG I personally prefer solid colors. The PG will be hiding the best looking part of a burst finish which is toward the middle where the finish is the most transparent.
    2. I have an alder SB-2 and an ash L2000. They are both very light. Not much difference in weight.
    3. Black PG's are like black cars. They show every single smudge, scratch, etc. This really bothers me, so I avoid it at all costs. If it doesn't bother you then it's not a big deal.
    4. Of your choices I would go with Margarita metallic, but with a tort PG.
  8. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

the only one i could afford was one somebody returned to mf after they didn't want it for xmas, but it's white alder body, brown tort guard, 1.5" jazz chunky rosewood neck

every once in a while you see the silver aluminum pgs on sb2s, i believe these look really great with the big shiny chrome bridges
  9. RutherfordBrave

RutherfordBrave

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll leave this here:

[​IMG]
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

If you go with Margarita Metallic, consider a mirror pickguard if it would fit your band. I'd probably like white pearloid too, but black pearloid might be the ticket like the Margarita Metallic Legacy Special here (I think it's the 16th on the page):

http://www.portlandpercussion.com/g&l.htm

But don't worry, it's tough to make a G&L look less than awesome.
  11. pappas0211

I think I'm now kicking around either a SB-1 or a M2000. Depending on the route I want to go with either active or passive. Right now, I have a JB-2.
  12. msact

msact Supporting Member

Those two models sound very different from one another. The M2000 is much more modern sounding whereas the SB basses sound like a Fender on steroids. Both are great but it depends on the sound you want. I have several G&L's but if i where to pick only one it would be my L2000. It can do passive or active and it can emulate almost any sound you want.
  13. pappas0211

I just had a L2K. Traded it for this JB-2 because I needed a J style neck. I loved it and what it could do. But, now since I'm gonna fork out the money to build me one, I can actually put a J neck on whatever I get.
  14. msact

msact Supporting Member

Understood. I actually had two made recently and got the #12 neck on both. I am more of a P neck guy. That's the great thing about G&L. No massive additional charges for special orders.

Actually I love the wide flat neck that a lot of the old G&L's have, especially if they have an ebony fretboard. The old L1K's have fantastic necks!

Good luck with your build and let us know what you decide.