1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building speaker cabinets -Long Throw encloseur

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by urb, Jan 8, 2013.

1. urb

urb

I just acquired a Peavey 118 speaker and have nothing to put it in. Unless an 18" cabinet falls from the sky and lands in my yard I am forced to make a box.
    I am interested in the longthrow design. I spent a few minutes searching info about them, didn't come up with too much.
    If you have any experience with them , know some pro's vs cons .Please clue me in. Should I use plywood or particle board? Stuff like that I need to know. Thanx , Shane.
  2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

long throw? Do you mean a folded horn/W-bin cab?

What model Peavey 18" do you have? You'll need the Thiele-Small parameters to do your modelling for the cab.

Birch or arauco 1/2" ply are you cabinet woods of choice, not MDF or gawd-forbid particle board :D
  3. urb

urb

its a pv 118. so the guy who sold it to me said. Tell me about the Thiele-Small parameters.

Attached Files:

4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The Thiele-Small parameters describe various aspects of the behavior of the woofer primarily at low frequencies, and are used to evaulate the suitability of a given woofer for a particular application, and then to design a proper enclosure once the woofer has been chosen. Eminence has a very good introduction to T/S parameters and other data on their website:

http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There are pics of the peavey W cab on the first page of the "BIG CABS" thread.
  7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

would be helpful to know exactly which Peavey 18" model you have. Like any other style cab, you can't throw in just any driver into a W cab and expect it to work properly.

Also, they have poor response above 500 to 800 Hz depending on the exact design so you'd have to add a midrange driver.

W cabs are rather complicated to build in comparison to a ported or sealed cab and generally take up a lot of room. That may or may not be an issue for you, though :meh:

Not trying to discourage you, but if this is the first time you're building a cab from scratch you'd be better served going with the more common sealed or ported boxes. I've built large horn cabs in the past and they can be pretty challenging.
  8. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Single low frequency speakers are not "long"- "mid"- or "short"- throw. Or any "throw" at all, actually.

Any sealed, vented, bandpass or horn enclosure will follow the same SPL vs distance loss rule. As long as the radiating surface (the surface of the enclosure) is small compared to the sound waves it will reproduce it remains mainly omnidirectional.

To control radiation pattern of the sound waves, the surface area must be large enough to prevent waves to "sneak away" in the unwanted direction. So bass speakers must be either very large (several meters) or stacked in groups to control the direction of the deep bass frequencies.

You might still want to build some kind of horn enclosure but I recommend you do a bit of studying before you start the power tools or you might end up with a design very far from your tonal goals.
  10. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I own the PV W horns mentioned earlier in this thread. I love them, but they're a handful.
    Recommendation: Google "Andy Lewis on horns", read this thoroughly and understand what he's saying before you start a project.
    I had a 18" Cerwin-Vega fall into my lap, and pursuant to a fellow TB'ers advice, built a generic 8 cu.ft. box, featuring 3/4 ply. Also included were 4 4" ports ( about 6" long) across the bottom. Also cut the lower back corner at a 45 deg. to accept two 4" heavy duty casters from the home center.
    The box could be 6 to 8 cu. ft.
    Anyway,I built this monstster, and I am quite happy with its performance.
    Good Luck with your project...
    PS, here's a friggin horn...

Attached Files:

11. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

One advantage to a folded bass horn is how it filters out Doppler distortion from cone movement.
    At first listen, they sound like something is missing (it is), and they don't have the thump of a direct radiator.
    A 100 Hz crossover does not filter Doppler distortion at all, because it is produced by the cone and not the input signal.

The audible strength of a bass horn becomes very obvious at some distance back from the stage.
    My last encounter with the cops a few years back, was due to complaints about bass.
    The person complaining was very far away from the outdoor venue.
    The cop said he could here the subs plain as day, and followed the noise.

I was doing a Relay for Life event with a stack of T39s.
  12. Tuned

Tuned

The problem with systems that prevent Doppler distortion is that they introduce McLuhan distortion. Let's leave this alone in a bass guitar forum and let the academics battle it out.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What's McLuhan distortion? Google is doing a Sgt Shultz.
  14. Tuned

Tuned

I was kidding. There's no such thing as Doppler distortion. Some people think that because a speaker is producing low frequency waves as well as high frequency waves the higher waves are undergoing "distortion" just like how a police car siren is higher pitched when approaching than when driving away. Meanwhile our ears are doing the exact same thing, picking up low frequency waves with the same eardums we use to pick up higher waves.... It's a conspiracy!!!

I was referring to Marshall McLuhan, who is a far more interesting read than Christian Doppler.
  15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I used a couple Peavey 1810 cabinets for years, and with one, I cut off the 2X10 section, and covered the exposed wood with the tolex from the section I cut off. The speaker cab, after removing the 2X10 was fairly compact, yet performed pretty well, although I still used a mid cabinet with it, with the 500Hz crossover in the mid cabinet.

The dimensions of the 18" cabinet are 21"H X 24" W X 18.5" D, with the baffle inset 1.5" from the front edge. There are two triangular ports at the bottom corners that are about 4.5" X 4.5" X 6".

The 1820 cabinet, also a 1X18" with 2X10" speakers is similar, but a few inches deeper.

As far as folded horn cabinets go, the Peavey was similar to an Acoustic 371 cabinet and DIY 361/371 cabinet plans can be found on line. BUT in all the discussions I've read about the Acoustic folded horn cabinets, a PV Black Widow 18" was spoken of as a bad speaker for this enclosure.

I would seriously consider EV TL plans. There are two such plans for an 18" speaker, the TL505 (7.1 cubic feet) and the TL405 (13 cubic feet.) I would use the 505 plans as it is a much more manageable cabinet. Here is a link.

http://mypicsonline.net/archive/arc...es/EV/Builders Plans/TL505 Builders Plans.pdf

Here's the much larger TL405 plans...

http://mypicsonline.net/archive/arc...ves/EV/Builders Plans/TL405 Builers Plans.pdf

I will say that modern 15" speakers can far outperform my old Black Widow 18's. I have a couple TL 15" cabinets, one with an Eminence Kappa Pro and the other with a 500 watt MCM 15 that are louder, punchier with more low end than the 18's I have. I still pair my 18's up with my Acoustic 370 head for fun.
  16. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If you want to build horn loaded designs that make best use of 18" drivers, I rather favour this 16 x 18" approach to the problems involved.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We all know that anything big enough for a genuine <20Hz with no roll off whatsoever, wont be very transportable.
  17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Too small in the throat for an 18" long throw, wants to be about thirty two feet in diameter at the open end really, well for absolute best performance anyway.:D:bag:
    Horn loaded technology is just not down sizeable in any way.:bassist:
  19. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures: