Building The Greatest Reggae Cabinet - My First Take On DIY Cab Building

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by estatke, Mar 18, 2014.

1. estatke

estatke

Hello talkbass members.

I am currently planning to build my own cabinet. After a lot of reading, i feel comfortable going to work, but i still need a "go" from people with more experience than me.

I play reggae, and i really like the design of jamaican soundsystems with the scoops and the horns. So that's what i am going for.

The setup:

1 x Monacor MHD-55
    2 x Fane Sovereign 10" 300 watts/8ohm
    1 x Eminence Kilomax Pro-15A 1250 watts/8ohm RMS

My amp is an Acoustic B800H, 800 watts/4ohm .

My question to you guys is, will this work? Do i have enough power? I need your comments! :hyper:
  2. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

To be upfront I have no knowledge of the equipment you are planning to use, so I won't comment on the particulars.

Generally speaking, though, the JA sound systems you describe are designed to reproduce full range program music, not a live electric bass, so I can't see the benefit of the comparison.

The needs of a reggae rig are similar to that of any bassist in that you need to consider the size of the rooms you will be playing, and whether you have FOH support, besides your tonal goals.

For me it's all about having a powerful rig with a big cab or two to get your big sound pumping on stage to support the band and make the drummer happy, and a good PA to translate this to your public. I've heard all kinds of rigs with different amps and cabs and the important thing is tight and controlled low end with out too much going in in the sub frequencies, unless you are really going for synthy lows. The punch lives in the low mids and most reggae bassists understand this.

You don't need tweeters and a the ability to reproduce the high highs all that much but you still want a cab that can give your notes clarity and articulation. I like the punch and cushion of a good tube amp with any decent cab that has the ability to put out tight solid bass at high SPL.
  3. estatke

estatke

I am not building a soundsystem, i'm just designing my cabinet after one. Most bass cabinets will have enough frequency range to play normal music. What i am going for, is "The Scoop". I know they made bas cabs with scoops in the 70's. This will give me a hella lot of more bottom.

What i really need answer for though, is:
    - is my amp powerful enough for the speakers?
    - are the speakers powerful enough for the amp?
    - Can i fit a 2x10 + 1x15 into a scoop design?

Thank you very much for the reply though!
  4. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Unfortunately the scoop cabinets really didn't go that low compared to more modern systems. The scoop acts as a horn and tunes the frequency response of the cabinet. Those boxes from the 70's and 80's were usually tuned around 50hz. That said, it would look tres cool however one built to get low end extension would be tres large.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Happynoj

Happynoj

You will probably do much better posting this in the 'amps' subforum rather than 'basses'. Plenty of people building their own cabs in there. Look up Bill Fitzmaurice. He has lots of different cab designs including some massive bass bins with scoops.
  7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Bill's subs will kill any obsolete scoops. Add a crossover, and some mids and away you go...