1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Building up a neck pocket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by searchfunction, Nov 15, 2012.

1. searchfunction

searchfunction

I bought a bass from an e-bay "luthier" for cheap. After all is said and done, i need to either build up the neck pocket or recess the bridge to get a good string height. the bass came with a .180 shim in the neck. how do i do this? or what should i do?
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd buy a sheet of wood veneer and cut it to size. You can do multiple layers to get the height you want.
  3. Big B.

Big B.

Got any pics? For a Fender type bass I'd be more likely to add a piece to the neck pocket. On a more custom style bass I would be more likely to add a contrasting layer to the neck instead and sculpt it to look cool.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

If you have the facility to do so, you can angle one surface of the existing shim to give the neck some tiltback. But adding more shim as suggested by lowfreq is easier.
  5. searchfunction

searchfunction

I was just wondering, isn't .180 inch of shim a huge amount?
  6. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Yeah, that's a lot. A little over 1/8", close to 5/32".