1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Built-in Active Preamps EQs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 2, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

In recent years built-in active electronics, such as the Bartolini TCTs, have been quite popular. Aguilar is highly esteemed because of it's sonic neutrality. (In other words, when compared to the passive sound, w/the tone knobs set on flat, the active sounds close. If that's the case, why not use an outboard eq (boss, mxr, etc.)? Other than the controls being at ones finger tips? Can one get comparable results?

2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

There's a lot of voodoo in your question. In general, a stronger electrical signal will be less susceptible to RFI/EMI. Here, what really matters is the shielding of your cable. In my experience, RFI/EMI interference can range from audible noise, to a noticeably degraded signal. People obsess over the sheilding on their axes, but never give a thought to the shielding in the 10 ~ 25' of cable they use. Edge to the onboard.
    It's one less thing to carry around. Edge to the onboard.
    It has to be designed (limited?) to fit into a cramped space. Edge to the outboard.
    If you play with the FOH support, it's completely unnecessary.
    If you are dropping a combo next to the drummer and hitting it, it's very nice to have those adjustments onboard.

3. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I'm in pretty strong agreement with that. That said, I had my bass modded to bypass the active circuitry in case of failure and for more tone options. I like both, if a pickup volume and tone pots work for you good, if you like to be able to cut or boost frequencies on the fly good for you too. The mod is actually pretty cool because it allows me to accomplish exactly what you're saying.

4. line6man

line6man

The major difference between onboard and outboard buffering is the fact that outboard buffering leaves the bass with a high impedance signal that must travel through capacitive instrument cable. Depending on the length of your cable, the capacitance can reduce treble by forming a low-pass filter with the pickups. This is not a concern with onboard buffering.

That's because the shielding on a cable is a complete Faraday cage, except for the tip of the connector, and the gap between the connector and the braiding on the cable. It's as close to perfect as it can get.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

What if the eq is put in the effects loop w/1' cables?

7. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    I've got a John East and love it.