Built in d.i.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 4stringsrenough, Nov 16, 2012.

1. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

Play a gk rb700ii. It has a built in d.I. That I use instead of a external d.I. Just asking if most of you guys do the same?
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I don't play GK amps, but their DI's are said to be above the average.

If You're pleased with Yours, why not use it?

OTOH, I have found the majority of inbuilt DI's fall short when comparing against even the cheapest Behringer, but that's most likely a testament about the low/mid quality amps I've used, not about the inbuilt DI's in general.

A rough divider for me has been whether the DI is transformer coupled or not.
    If it is, it's usually a decent one.
    If it has a Jensen or Lars Lundahl transformer, it's probably a very good one.

Regards
    Sam
  3. MrPierre

MrPierre

I use the D.I. out on my Traynor YBA200-2 since it is post-eq. The signal the soundboard receive is almost the same one that goes into my cab so that assure some unity in my tone.
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I use the one on my MB500 all the time for recording. I intend to use it live as well.
  5. Steveaux

Steveaux

MB200, 400RB-IV, & 800RB.

I use the on-board DI's on all three. They work just fine.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did until I decided I liked micing much better. And then I got a REDDI earlier this year and decided I liked it better than micing OR an amp DI. But given most of the crap DI's you'll see soundmen supply on gigs, I'd much rather use an amp DI.
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I gigged a 700rb-II for a few years as my main amp, and always used the built-in DI... I set mine to post-EQ, didn't use any radical EQ settings, and it always sounded very good thru a PA...

- georgestrings
  8. iiipopes

iiipopes

I gig through a Carvin MB-12, and before that a Carvin PB300 from the early '90's. Both have XLR line out. They are the cleanest, quietest line-out's, period. I don't bother with a separate DI box unless I'm going to be playing where I don't take my own amp. With my playing, most sound guys prefer the pre-eq for me.
  9. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

I'm assuming your 700 is the same as my 1001RB and our sound guy loves it!!! He thinks it has a warmer tone than a passive DI box.

I send the DI to him pre-EQ set at about 10 o'clock. But I always carry my Radial Bassbone DI in case there is ever an issue with the amp..
  10. scottfeldstein

You know, I wish I knew of a cheap and good DI that I could carry in my gig bag in case I didn't want to bring my head or (god forbid) it was broken. $50. What am I looking for? Anyone know?
  11. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

I thought MXR made one. The M80??? I thought they were about $150.00 new... Maybe $75.00 used?
  12. scottfeldstein

True, but that's pretty full featured. It's got an EQ and a distortion unit. All I really want is phantom power, a ground lift and maybe a parallel out.
  13. SteveC

SteveC

Radial makes a bunch of great DI's.
  14. bodoger

bodoger

Carvin BX600 post EQ DI works perfect and keep my tone intact. And we run the channel strip Eq all on flat settings on the mixer. so the foh sounds as close as possible to my amp.
  15. scottfeldstein

Hm. Yeah, but the cheapest one is still $100 new. Maybe that's just what you gotta pay for a decent DI. Oh well. Maybe I'll pick something up used, see how close to $50 I can get.
  16. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

I have a Genz Shuttle 6.0 with built in DI. IMO, one of the best out there. Awhile back a comparison was done by a TB'er and found the shuttle DI was comparable to a Countryman. I've used it live and for recordings, everyone has been pretty pleased with the results.
  17. scottfeldstein

I've used the GK MB500 DI for recording. All the time, in fact. But what if I don't want to bring an amp or it's stolen/broken? Just thinking it'd be cool to have a standalone.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

19. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

You may want some of those features if it is taking the place of an amp in some situations even though it's more than you want to spend.
  20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, stuff like the MXR M-80 are pretty handy. It's like a complete "amp in a box", with tone controls, distortion with a blend knob if you want. The MXR is pretty clean, but sounds better direct than a simple DI without a preamp built-in. (imo). And there are lots of others, all with their own flavor.