1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Built-in FM radio?

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by JoelFT, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JoelFT

JoelFT

It seems I have an added bonus on my SKB. The kind folks at Roscoe included an FM radio built into the bass. While it's kinda cool and keeps me from getting board in between songs I do wish it had a volume knob.

So, seriously, after testing everything in the signal chain the radio is definitely coming from my bass. Even when the instrument volume is turned all the way down it can still be heard. The only knob that seems to have an effect on the radio is the mid knob, although only slightly.

Do y'all have any thoughts? Does the bass just need more shielding?

2. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Could be a short in the input jack, could be a fault in the ground wire, or a shielding issue.

When did this issue show up? Did you just get the bass and was it always present, or is it a "new" issue on a bass you've had a while?

Like #5, we need "more input" to help solve the problem.

;)

3. JoelFT

JoelFT

I didn't notice it when I first got the bass. But, shortly after picking it up I got a Zoom B3 to mess around with. That's when I really noticed it and just assumed it was the Zoom (for $200 I figured it was acceptable). But, recently I got an Aguilar TLC compressor and have been running with just that pedal between the bass and amp. Well, I still noticed the radio interference so, I did a bunch of trouble shooting. I used multiple amps, cables and even headphones. So, the only thing left is the bass itself. It seems though that compressors are what are really exacerbating the problem.

4. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Ugh. And once you hear it, you will ALWAYS hear it...that which has been seen cannot be unseen.

:meh:

...best thing for us to do from here - give me a call at the shop:

336-274-8810

I'll be here until 6 eastern tonight, tomorrow in from 9-6....sorry you're having an issue, but we will get you straight!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sobie18

sobie18

Hopefully you have a good FM station on there...

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I'd subscribe to Sirius/XM if I were you so you can get better choices for music. :D

8. P Town

P Town Guest

9. JoelFT

JoelFT

I had a rehearsal earlier this evening at the venue that we'll be playing at tomorrow. I cranked the crap out of my amp and I didn't hear a single errant sound. It was just all creamy bass. So, now I haven't a clue.

BTW, the LG Standard sounded just sick! Even though the SKB didn't have any issues the LG will be getting the majority of the attention tomorrow night. It's fun bringing the funk to a country gig. I get to slap on one song and there is even some tapping too. I'm kinda breaking all the rules for a country bass player (which I'm not).

10. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Veddy eeentahresting....

...I've had this experience. Badly grounded wiring in a house or business combined with a very high gain preamplifier. Betcha the grounding on the wiring in the WALL is the issue, and it is being "amplified" with the combination of preamp, pickup, etc. We had a real issue with this at Bass Central with some basses, and just like your experience, I'd take the same bass to my house or a gig - no hint of noise.

Frustrating, I know....let me know if the problem persists, we can still try to tweek things a bit to help improve the issue, if not eliminate it.

And screw the rules: PLAY! :bassist: :hyper:

11. JoelFT

JoelFT

Since I just had to replace my sewer line because of faulty construction I wouldn't be surprised to find out my house's electrical system was half-assed either. However, I have also noticed the problem in many different hotel rooms as well when I use headphones plugged into the Zoom. The plot thickens...

12. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Yup. Same, or at least similar, issue. Faulty grounding in the electrical system causes the entire BUILDING to function as an antenna, then sometimes your bass will pick that signal up via the electrical wiring and amplify it....damned annoying, no?

13. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

I have a similar problem, but I don't have a Roscoe.

Usually occurs in the winter.
    I can hear WLW (one of the few 50,000 watt radio stations) through my rig.

It was so bad through my Marcus Miller I sold the bass.
    Marcus Miller's are known for having problems in the winter.

Some combinations of location, cables, bass, amp, cab and effects just make the perfect antenna...

14. ubone

ubone

Hopefully it receiving a kick but station and not something from seizure village... Like, Lawrence Welk...

15. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Hey man!:eyebrow: I live in seizure village, but we play Vaughan, King, Wolf, and Hendrix. No Welk! :smug:

:D

God Bless, Ray

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Yep. There was one particular venue we used to play at a few years ago that I had this issue. My amp's DI would pick up a radio station every time we played there. So we always had to mic the cab there, and problem was solved. I was using a 4Pro at that point in time, a Modulus Q5, and a Shure wireless. It ONLY happened at that venue, but it happened every time we played there. Strange.

17. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Add a ferrite choke to your instrument cable and power cable. Google for details or search here for an old post I wrote. A $2 fix that you can keep in your gig bag. Works every time.

18. sobie18

sobie18

Would that be Freddie King, BB King, or Albert King?

19. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    All three. Don't forget Earl King. :smug:

:D

God Bless, Ray

20. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

A Ferrite Choke?

Is that a MMA move?