1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bummed! Neck crack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by abarson, Dec 8, 2013.

1. abarson

abarson

My Growler did a face plant while in its stand. At first, I didn't notice any damage, but last night it was surprisingly out of tune across all four strings (this bass NEVER goes out of tune!). On examination, I found a hairline crack just below the volute, across the purpleheart and the maple.

This is my only bass, and I've got gigs coming up. Should I try to flow some thin cyanoacrylate into the crack? What's the best method to do so? I'm assuming that I should create some kind of method to clamp it for a bit?
    :help::help::help:

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

No. CA glue is not the answer. You need wood glue and clamps. Sorry to say, it's best you get a loaner and get your bass to a good tech.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

You have one shot to get it right. Don't go cheap...you need somebody who has done this before. A half-assed attempt will muck things up to the point that remedial / secondary repairs will be difficult at best.

Riis

4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Agreed- best to leave this to a pro

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JACink

JACink

Maybe this is the time to invest in a cheaper backup bass, and take this to a doctor?

7. abarson

abarson

Got it. Scanning craigslist for a cheap but usable backup...

So far, I've gotten a recommendation for Keith Holland at the Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos. Anyone else have experience with his repairs (not fret jobs,etc.)?

8. abarson

abarson

Bought a Silvertone LB11 as a backup: what a beast!
    I was on the verge of doing the repair myself, and chickened out at the very last second. I took it to Steve Crisp at The Guitar Shop here in Santa Cruz, and he did an awesome repair on it. You can't see or feel it, and there's only the slightest finish color difference where he applied the new coat. I highly recommend his work, and he'a nice guy to boot.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Great decision - and it led to a great outcome. Having a backup bass is an additional benefit.