1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Burl Walnut finishing lesson

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by camthebassman, Dec 8, 2013.

1. camthebassman

camthebassman Supporting Member

I'm building a Warmoth parts bass. The neck is "wenge" and I was not happy with the appearance of the headstock, so I have veneered burl walnut to the headstock.

[​IMG]

This is my first experience working with burl and I'm struggling to develop a finishing schedule. The goal is a gloss clear finish.

First attempt (on test pieces):
    Light sand 220
    wipe with mineral spirits
    Minwax lacquer sanding sealer - one or two coats

This dried to a chaulky white..normal?

I wiped it down with Mineral spirits and sprayed a few coats of Minwax gloss laquer

The walnut is absorbing the laquer like a sponge.

Is there a better technique and/or products that I can use to seal the burl to allow build coats? I do quite a bit of boat building and I'm tempted to reach for the epoxy or spar varnish.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Cam
  2. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Epoxy would be the way to go, in my book...FWIW.
  3. camthebassman

Epoxy - sand - shellac - sand - lacquer ?
  4. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Naw...just epoxy over the burl...it's strong enough to protect it, with a finish that won't yellow. I would use at least a couple of coats...sanding between coats to get it level.
  5. camthebassman

thanks. I use clear epoxy for bright work on boats with great success. One coat on the test piece last night....working as expected. Will require multiple coats as the type I use is very low viscosity.

Thanks for the input. I'll post some shots as things progress.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Burl and spalted woods are the hardest to finish because the wood absorbs the finish unevenly.
  7. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

8. LightGroove

LightGroove

I agree on the epoxy. For a small project like this Id go over to your local hardware or art store and pick up some of that "counter top" self leveling epoxy. A small box should last you quite some time.
  9. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

^Yup...I couldn't agree more!^