1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Burns Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steamtronic, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

OK TB'ers, be loud & proud if you own a Burns and get yourself a number!

We're after Marquees, Bisons, Vista Sonics, Scorpions, Baldwins & Baldwin Semi's, Signatures, Flytes, Shadows, and any other rare birds out there.

I claim #1.

Burns Marquee re-issue. Gold hardware, White on tortiseshell.

Looks a LOT like this one, actual picture to follow as soon as its back from being serviced. Thanks to A9X for the pic

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

(Ive searched and searched and searched but could not find a Burns owners club.If there's already one on TB, please let me know and I can retire this thread. And settle for a higher number.)

2. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

OK so you're shy....

I realise the posts get pushed down to the bottom pretty regularly because this is a KICK A** BOARD!!!

Burns made/make some lovely looking instruments and I've become quite a fan, and would like to get others on the board to share their love.

For those who DONT know the love of Burns, ill post a new pic of a different model every few days or so just to keep this visible to any other Burns owners out there.

Ill start with one of my favourites: the Flyte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Abner

Abner

I have a '60s Baldwin Vibraslim. Picked it up used in the '70s, was my second ever bass.

Have no pics at the moment, I'm afraid.

-Alex

4. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

Welcom Alex! Take #2!

Does it look anything like this bad boy?
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Abner

Abner

A little, but that ain't it.

Just did an image search with Google... wow there are a lot of Vibraslims around now. They weren't here a few years ago when I last searched. I'm amazed at the variety of colours they came in.

old ebay link

The one I have is similar the one in the above link, except mine has a black body. (So of course you can't see the the Baldwin name on the clear pickguard.)

Beautiful looking bass, and the neck is excellent (short scale, banjo frets...), but it sounds... let's just say less than spectacular. I think that "Rezo-Tube" bridge/tailpiece design lets it down. It actually strings through the body.

And I think one of my pickups is dying — it's been a while since I've had it out.

Will definitely get some pics of it, but it might not be until the warmer weather comes around.

-Alex

7. Abner

Abner

Well, my camera sucks, and after loading the pics into my computer, I realized I had it on something less than the best quality. :(

But here's what I got so far, for what it is. Baldwin Vibraslim, black with maple neck. James O. Burns pickups and "Rezo-tube" bridge/tailpiece.

Vibraslim 01.jpg

Vibraslim 02.jpg

I'll try and get some better pics before the end of the summer. (But keep in mind, someday I will be the World's Greatest Procrastinator. Someday.)

Edit: Oh, and I have the original mute that screws in just in front of the bridge, sitting in the original case.

-Alex

Psychbunny likes this.
  8. Abner

Abner

Well, this must set the record for slowest and smallest club on TB. ;)

-Alex

9. Jobi1

Jobi1

Alright then, looks like I can claim #3?!
    I can claim #3 then?!

10. Abner

Abner

Fine with me, but Steamtronic started the thread. Last logged in August 22, but not sure if he's visited this thread since February.

Any pics? We like pics here. :)

11. Jobi1

Jobi1

Of course! Here's one at a festival the other week...

[​IMG]

Steamtronic and Abner like this.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Just got a used Burns Scorpion bass. Really good player, didn't expect it to sound like the way it does, also didn't realize it was a string through. Really nice P/J sound.
    It's a very well made bass, I'm very happy with it. I haven't seen a Scorpion until now.
    2014-10-08 11.22.06.jpg 2014-10-08 11.20.57.jpg

Steamtronic likes this.
  13. Abner

Abner

Can't say I'm a fan of these weird shapes and exaggerated horns, but I'd love to try one of these, they just look so... substantial. Like they'd give a meaty, solid tone. (Can't say the same for my semi-hollow Baldwin.)

Maxdusty likes this.
  14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

To be honest with you, I wasn't into the shape at all- not a metal player but never tried a Burns (even though it's a Korean made one ). I would have much preferred a Bison but the price was right on this one so I thought, why not. Well the bass does indeed give a pretty meaty sound until you flip that phase switch- a neat little feature.
    It does have a bit of weight to it- I think at 10-11 lbs or so.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  15. Arild

Arild

Disclosures:
    ASHDOWN
    Hi, I want to buy a Bison bass. What is the best? And where do I buy it?
    Are they all made in Korea?

16. WilemT97

WilemT97

Here's my Burns Bison Bass! Purchased yesterday for £400 with a "Custom Shadows hard case"!
    Amazing Bass, absolutely love it!
    Already used it on two of my band's tracks!
    Can I get a number?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1417777448.370595.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1417777486.615732.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1417777521.718767.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1417777539.787013.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1417777412.464790.jpg

Abner and Psychbunny like this.
  17. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

Sorry folks, was overseas on a family emergency for some months. Great to see some more Burns folk!

Jobi1, you are the proud wearer of our #3 Jersey.

18. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

Welcome Member #4 Maxdusty!

19. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

20. WilemT97

WilemT97

Thank you! It's a beauty!

Sadly, the tracks are not on BandCamp yet as we have yet to get the drum tracks down, we had some gear break on us that needs repairing before we continue, but I will happily notify you when they are up!

Thanks again, Wilem.

21. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

Hi Arild, sorry for the delay in replying! You may well have bought one already by now.

I don't work for burns nor do I sell their gear, Im just a fanboy so I cant help with recommendations on what to look for in a Bison (except of good teeth & hooves maybe;)

For a new one , check the distributor page on their website. http://www.burnsguitars.com/distributors.php
    You'll also have to ask them if they make any Bisons (Bison? What would be the correct plural?) in the UK or if they are all Korean.