1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buy Build Or Replace 1x15 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thirtyhz, Dec 16, 2013.

1. thirtyhz

thirtyhz

I am in need of a 1x15 Cabinet (15 by preference). I ran into the fEarful designs and considered building, but then it occurred to me I could upgraded a cab I have. Which is a old Trace Elliot 1x15 with a fairly low wattage crappy speaker - however the cabinet is solid so I was thinking why not drop a Eminence Kappalite 3015LF in for a couple hundred bucks and save some dough? Thoughts anyone?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Because it won't sound anywhere near as good as having a speaker cabinet that is properly engineered. Its easy, it would be relatively cheap, but you're not likely to get ANYWHERE in the same ballpark of sound. :)
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    For my tastes, even in a "properly designed" box, a 3015LF sounds like poo unless it's crosed over to a mid driver below 1K.

The 3015 would be a better choice in a single driver cabinet.
  4. morebass!

morebass! Supporting Member

The 3015 non-LF is pretty forgiving about box size. It won't give the huge lows that the LF version can do but it sounds great as a full-range bass guitar speaker. Very efficient (i.e. loud) too.

If you provide the dimensions (specify whether interior or exterior) the speaker gurus will likely help you.
  5. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It would require some homework, and researching what speakers are around: BUT if you measure the inside of the box you have, including the dimensions of any/all ports, you may find a suitable replacement speaker that will sound alright with that cab. It is still a bit of a gamble. Your best bet really would be either buying or building, IMO. Do you have WinISD? Why do you feel the speaker in there now is "crappy"? It may well be a low quality speaker, but it is still just as likely to sound better than any random speaker as it is likely to be easily improved upon. Ya just gotta follow DA RULEZ to get good results with bass cabs.
  6. Dale Johnson

Dale Johnson Supporting Member

if you decide to consider buying then think about the carvin BR 115. ( http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BR115-8C ) A lot of speaker for not much money. 102 db efficiency, and the tone sounds great to me. It goes low clean & effortlessly on my 4 string.