Buy Facebook Page likes?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PopaWoody, Dec 13, 2012.

1. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

Anyone ever consider this? Apparently you can purchase FB Likes, YouTube views, Plus One's, Twitter(really?) Followers.

Would you artificially inflate your so called reach, with the hope of looking bigger than you actually are?

I'm not sure of how many venues actually look at this stuff, or if anyone cares at all.

What do you think tber's?

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Send me five hundred bucks, and I'll make sure you have as many of all of those as you want.

Let me know, man.

3. oniman7

oniman7

I've gotten gigs based on inflated Facebook likes before. Not anything I've bought, you understand. But there are Facebook pages that host "ladders". They start with a featured band, you like them, tag your page, and like 10 pages above and below where yours is tagged. I went from 400 to 1,200 within a month or so and people have looked at my page and immediately said "you have 1,200 fans on your Facebook, so that's really impressive/you must be dedicated blah blah blah".

In the long run though, with Facebook's new algorithms where your posts only show up to so many people, it can actually hurt you in the long run. We were using it to game our fans on ReverbNation so our rank increased. We also had about 5,000 Myspace friends so our total numbers were 10,000 and we were ranked number 9 in our area out of about 425 rock bands for a while. It made people take us seriously until the band fell apart.

Buying them, though? I can't see a way where that would work well.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Do people really give a crap about something as unimportant as FB "like" counts? Knowing that someone can buy them makes them worthless as a marketing tool. I'd never book a band based on it, for sure!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

many venues tend to look at that to find out how many fans a band has. compelete bull imo

7. mikegug

mikegug

Labels look at that as well. They also look at mailing lists. They hope to have a complete package (lots of FB fans, Youtube views, mailing lists) show up at their front door step.

It makes me wonder, if a band wants to be considered by a label, do you pad with purchased Facebooks or do you keep your integrity and shun the idea of purchasing those? I lean toward integrity.

8. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Yup,

Just because I like a buddies band doesn't mean I'm gonna make it out to every show. I have a few friends bands on Facebook liked just to support them, not even a huge fan of the music.

The Facebook likes has nothing todo with a fan vase IMO.

9. pklima

pklima

Naaah. As much as I love everything fake, paying for Facebook likes seems about as useful as paying to play.

I've seen people in other scenes give breakdowns for spending over 10 thousand dollars to promote a mixtape. No fake Facebook likes there - most of the money went to getting featured on blogs that get traffic. In other words, buy actual exposure, not the appearance of exposure. If you really want to use something fake to promote your music, make a video and spend the money on women with fake breasts.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's part of the lazy club owner/manager model.

Rather than actually taking a look at a band, listening to their music, asking around about the band, and seeing if it's something that would work in their bar, they ask you how many "likes" you have and "what's your draw". Then they get pissed when the band doesn't perform to expectations and/or drives out the regulars when they could have taken a little more time and actually checked the band out.

Genuine "Likes" can be controlled by a band to some degree, although there can be lots of gamesmanship in it. Draw can be controlled by a band to some degree, but in the end they can't actually force people to do anything. But, a band's performance and professionalism is under their control. The crazy thing is that a venue will evaluate a band for circumstances not completely in their control, while ignoring what is actually in their control.

11. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Yeah, I can't think of anything more trivial than this. I thought only 12 years noticed this sort of stuff.

12. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

I've never had a bar owner actually ask us how many likes our page has.

13. oniman7

oniman7

We sent ours over email and out looked impressive