Buyer beware on Ebay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darknut, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I bought a joyo Ultimate Drive (or tried to buy) from a Ebay store called Millionshare.

Well they sent me the wrong pedal & now after 2 days they are trying to get me to keep the crappy pedal they sent instead of just sending me the correct pedal. At this point I'll be surprised if I get the correct pedal or my money back. This guy is a complete tool ... buyer beware

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Last month results :

Positive 14217
    Neutral 214
    Negative 170

Even with 14217 positives 384 neutral or negative hits is enough for me to look elsewhere. I hope it works out for you.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Ebay/Paypal nearly always side with the buyer in my experience. If they refuse to refund your money just open a dispute with Paypal.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 eBay has become a buyers market that's why I stopped selling in this case the buyer deserves his money back or his pedal but I'm hearing more stories of people damaging things then demanding a refund under the threat of a eBay dispute.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah, unless you let them talk to you into waiting 45 days to take action, there's pretty much no way you can lose.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

File a dispute NOW. Don't wait.

8. Darknut

I will if it not straightened today.

At least its only 40 bucks.

9. dalkowski

dalkowski

This. No reason for any reputable seller to have 2.6% non-positives.

10. Darknut

Filed a complain with ebay .... This Millionshare guy has some stones I'll give him that.

He wants me to pay to ship his screw up back & this is after he tried to get me just to keep the Pedal I did not order.

My bad for not looking closer at the feedback .... it may cost me 40 bucks in the end.

But on the bright side it bought me one of the crappiest pedals I've ever made ...

11. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I've never had such a thing happen. Most of the stories about bad buyers are inflated or created by crazy Ebay sellers who won't admit when they are wrong. I've had far more problems as a buyer than a seller. The false perception is Ebay is a buyer's market - the fact is, sellers become convinced of the half-truth and then degrade the market. When you go on their boards all you get is sellers ganging up on you if you have a buyer's problem.

12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I completely and 100% disagree.

Maybe your experience is different, but I'm fed up with Ebay screwing me as a seller.

The next pedal I sell will probably be on TB as a paying member.

Here's my profile, in case anyone thinks I'm one of those dodgy sellers:)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=faithnomorerocks&ftab=AllFeedback

P.S. - on the contrary, Ebay has always helped me as a buyer who got screwed over. They even sent me a paid shipping label to send back a faulty Focusrite interface and fully refunded everything once the seller received it back.

13. michael_atw

I've sold thousands of items to almost every country on the planet.

Bought about 1000 guitars on Ebay; also, thousands of other items.

Yes, my experience is quite different. Much more well-rounded. The bulk of my issues stopped when I got educated on how to sell...also when I inspect my product, that eliminates many issues. Many sellers on Ebay have a narcissistic complex where they are always right - this often stems from the belief that any complaint which goes against what they believe is a buyer trying to "rip them off". This belief is caused by the overwhelming propaganda of the idea that sellers are doomed from the start on Ebay. It's an overblown concept that has some roots in reality but roots that are long dead and have been removed by Ebay's increased regulation/monitoring of their marketplace.

I'm no Ebay proponent by any stretch but I've learned enough to recognize the "fear-mongering" of the marketplace is overblown.

14. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Sorry, but just because you had different experiences doesn't automatically mean I have a narcissistic complex. People have broken things that worked fine before and Ebay did nothing. I inspect the things I sell, which it seems like you are assuming I'm not.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. SirMjac28

I agree everyone's experiences are different and Michael you probably have more experience than most and I can say I have never had to file a dispute or issue a refund with over three hundred eBay transactions and until I discovered the TB classifieds almost a year ago I was strictly eBay but now I read where sellers are no longer able to leave negative feedback for buyers ? and inspecting your items before shipping should be a safeguard but it really isn't nothing prevents the buyer from breaking the item and saying you sent it that way not an issue if you have as many transactions as Michael but if you are just starting out eBay might not give you the benefit of a doubt.

16. michael_atw

I've had a couple buyers try to scam me but it was easy to thwart their tries. Just have to be patient, shrewd, and observant. Almost like an investigator of sorts. Gotta treat the issues formally.

As for the negatives for sellers, they removed that about 4 years ago and it is a very good thing. The only thing that was good for was retaliatory feedback. Another narcissistic complex of many sellers was to retaliate with negative feedback when it was actually their issue, thereby damaging the buyer out of spite or revenge. Basically, its the equivalent of two sides in a war bombing eachother until they all are dead. Not a good venue for a marketplace.

Recently, they instituted new "report a buyer" tabs. I have had some sellers report me when confronted them about parts they sold that were broken or guitars they sold that weren't as described. I had one guy harass me for months on his issue. Sold me a bass neck with a busted truss rod and I returned it and left a neutral (not even a neg). He harassed me and Ebay to get it removed for quite some time.

17. michael_atw

Never made assumptions about you or called you out for anything. My post was an overarching generalization.

No need to be defensive. I hope you didn't get defensive against the buyer in the same way. Approaching buyers with respect, politeness, and caution goes a long way. Long distance internet text communication doesn't leave much room for anything less.

18. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

eBay has been an overall good experience with me, as a buyer and seller. No horror stories to share but I do agree the TB community is far better to deal with than other online markets (for pedals in my experience).

the TB classifieds have GREAT deals; pedals I see going for $100 on eBay can go for $70-80 in the classifieds. and selling pedals at a lower price here doesn't feel as bad as when you sell a pedal on eBay for lower than expected lol.

OP, Sorry about the Joyo mix up. the ultimate drive kicked my Fulltone OCD off my board due to price and its retention of lows. Don't get dicouraged and look for a used UD, I bought one off ebay for $25 used. Totally worth it.

19. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    On TB you pay a small yearly fee. On ebay you get the usual paypal rape fees you'd get selling here PLUS the ebay rape fees.

Single penetration for this guy, please.

20. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Big hell yes on that one! It seems safer and is generally more satisfying to sell within a comunity that shares similar goals and interests (and GAS illness).

eBay kinda scares me, and Craigslist is a scammers paradise where it seems only local sales have a decent shot of ending well for both parties.

Yeah, forum B/S/T places seem the best way to go. I belong to a photography forum where this holds true as well. and paying fees to the forum is gratifying to me as these fees go the the administrator's cost of operation (and they offer a fine service to the comunity they represent), not some corporation's profit margin.

21. Darknut

Update ... Millionshare is finally paying to ship the wrong pedal back (only after I opened a dispute on Ebay of course) then I'm supposed to get a full refund. ( I don't even want a exchange at this point)

I'll believe the refund when I see it ... I'll going to take a lot of pictures of my pack job so this Tool can't claim I damaged this crappy Ultimate Octave. (nasty nasty pedal)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.