Buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

So I bought a radial DI today because I need a DI box for my bands next show in February. I have a VT Bass single channel that I absolutely love but I want to upgrade to the deluxe pretty soon.

So my dilemma is that I have this DI box, but if I get the VT deluxe then I pretty much have to return the DI. The deluxe has an XLR out on it. So if I get the deluxe then I don't really need the Radial right? The only pedals I have right now are my wireless receiver, tuner, and VT bass.

How is the XLR out on the VT is it as good as the radial?

I have 60 days to return the pedal if I don't like it, but I'm not sure if i should of got the pedal in the first place.

What should I do guys? Try out the radial with the single channel VT or bring it back and get the deluxe?
  2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I'll offer an opinion as both a bass player and recording engineer. The Radial is a very good direct box. A good direct box is something that will always get used, especially when recording. I'm willing to bet that the amp will not have a transformer that matches the one in the Radial.
    Keep the Radial.
    You'll use it...and even if you never do...you can always sell it. All of their equipment is built to last.
  3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Which Radial did you get?

Personally, I'd keep the DI and then you always have a great DI, no matter if you're using the VT or not. Otherwise, you're stuck with the VT, or you've got to buy another DI again down the road. IMO, it's always better to have a very good, clean DI that you can choose to use with any preamp/bass/effect pedal(s) you want, rather than limiting your DI to a function on a specific pedal that you may or may not always use.

So I have a Radial J48 in my bag with my name inscribed into it (permanently). I don't use it most of the time because most of my live work is straight to PA through an Aguilar DB900 or Manley Tube DI, but the Radial is my backup/bar/extra DI that I know will always work and sound great when I plug it in. Nearly all my studio work is through the tube DIs, as well. They get a LOT of use that I know the VT wouldn't get (I had one and sold it...).
  4. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

You know i did hold it in my hand and it does seem like its bulletproof. I'm not worried about it not lasting I'm just unsure if I need it or not if I decide to get the deluxe. I definitely appreciate your opinion
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

I have the PRO DI
  7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    That's a good one to start with. Even if you do upgrade at some point, keep that one in your bag and you'll always be covered. Or whip it out when someone needs a DI and save the gig...
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    that is essentially the same di as in my bassbone. Every sound guy that sees the BB on my pedal board hands me a cable or just plugs it in and seems to breath easier...
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Vt deluxe is a useful tool, and soundguys are generally happy with their DI also. That would be my pick if funds are short.
  10. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

I use a vt deluxe it does have a good DI, I also like the fact that it has an effects loop as I like to rum all modulation thru the loop. I keep bank A presets for use in a strait to the board situation and bank B for use when I'm using it as a Pre to my amp. Sometimes for short gig I rip it off the board and stuff it into my gig bag along with some extra 9v batteries and I'm off.

But that is me I always want to color my signal. In abt 50% of my situations the FOH is run by volunteers that do not attempt to EQ so I find it easier in those situations to get a usable tone right at my feet.