1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

buying a 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kremosity, Mar 5, 2014.

1. kremosity

kremosity Supporting Member

Hi folks, I am looking for a nice bass with the following characteristics:

Necktru design
    6 strings
    gloss finish (but not set on stone)

Looking to pay around 1k; used, new, does not matter to me. I want quality and build to last. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks guys

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

For a new bass of those characteristics the standard advice pretty much applies: Go online to the Carvin site. Download their catalog. Pour your dreams over all the options and models. And then pick up the phone. The sales dept is VERY helpful!

As for used, well, that's the luck of the draw. Just poke around as many used bass places as you can if any 6er is in the price range and speaks to you. Buy it.

3. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

The Ibanez BTB. And it comes now in single cut design also. Looks good!

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

both are gloss finished but, about Ibanez, Btb77+ series is out of line at the moment so you should either find it end of stock or secondhand and, finally, it has former Bartolini mk2 pickups

Present Btb series (676 or 686: aka TerraFirma singlecut) and Premium 1406 are satin/open pore finished. Respectively offer present Bartolini BH1 soapbars (with midfreq switch) and Nordstrand BigSingles with both midfreq and on/off switches

Yamaha Trb1006j is active only with AlNiCo soapbars but the bass is alder body with figured maple top and bolt-on maple walnut 5 laminate neck

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Yamaha TRB1006J is bolt-on, he wants neckthrough :p

7. gary m

gary m

Hm...the Hohner B Bass VI comes to mind, if you can find one...about $799

8. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Used Carvin LB76, BB76, Icon 6 models should be in your price range or less. They're fine instruments. IMHO Carvin pickups are the weakest link, but IME the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) J-45L is a suitable and reasonably priced replacement for the Carvin J pickups.

9. glorth2

glorth2

I just got a used Ibanez BTB676M and I reeeeeeally like it. Flat finish but there are gloss finishes available if you go rosewood.

10. spz8

spz8

American Peavey Cirrus

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Ibanez BTB series are mostly NT. Very good price/quality ratio. The BTB 776 might fit your budget, plus it's a beauty :p :)

[​IMG]

You also might want to keep an eye out for the Ibanez SR 1006. It's discontinued for a few years now, but it's a great NT bass!

12. collins81

collins81

I saw the new btb single cut and had to go change my pants. Yeah I went there.

13. raventepes

raventepes

I'd look at a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 and change out the strings to something better than the stock Slinky's. The Stiletto doesn't have a gloss finish, but to be fair, I'm trying to make heads or tails of why you feel it's important to begin with.

14. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

New:
    Ibanez BTB776
    Carvin (as mentioned before, call the sales dept).

Used:
    Can't beat a Peavey Cirrus 6er, if you can find one. They sell for anywhere from $900 to $1200. Gloss/Satin finish, neck-through, pau ferro or maple fretboard. Highly underrated IMO.