1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying a 6-string with intent to upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raventepes, Mar 18, 2014.

1. raventepes

raventepes

I know the ever rambling Spector vs Schecter will roll on, but my interest in the two is this; I want to pick up either the Spector Legend 6 or the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 with the sole intent on changing out its pickups and pre-amp to EMG 45TWX pups and most likely an Aguilar pre-amp.

My question here, is which would be the better instrument for this? I'm taking into consideration, hardware between the two, such as bridge, tuners, etc. What's there as far as features like Schecter's battery compartment, I'd prefer to mod the bass as little as possible. I've played both brands in the past, though only in passing, and it was years ago. They were both entry models, Spector NS2000 Q4/5, and Rex models, and a couple of Schecters that I can't entirely remember specific models. I do remember not being overly impressed by the Schecter, despite running it through a Mesa Boogie M6 Carbide and 4x10, though I don't remember how it felt. I do like the feeling of the Spectors, but what I like about the Schecter is that it's routed for 18v and already has a desirable knob layout and has a battery compartment separate of the pre-amp cavity. Again, this is a contrast to the Spector, which runs of 9 volts with its battery inside the pre-amp cavity and with a simple bass, treble and dual volume knobs.

Now on paper, everything would tell me to go with the Schecter, but the key element I'm missing is purely build quality, which will make or break the decision. I also find that the Schecter's Honey Satin is aesthetically more pleasing than Spector's Natural finish. But how are the necks on each model? What's the general build quality?

What's your opinion?

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Have you considered a Brice from Rondo? Not that it's in the price range of those other two, but that would be where I'd start if I was using it as a modding platform.
    Any reason you're going to jump to that specific pickup and preamp set right away?
    I usually don't buy basses with parts ready to replace though - I at least give it a few months of practices and gigs before I do. Anymore with my EBMMs I don't switch things at all :p, but that's getting way off topic now.

3. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

With the Schecter you get a carbon fiber rod reinforced neck through vs. the bolt on Spector. As they are both MIK, I think the craftsmanship will be about equal between them (in fact, I suspect they are made in the same factory.)

There wasn't much room in the Spector's control cavity when I was checking them out last year. I was skeptical about being able to get an EMG preamp and 2 9v in there for sure. The hardware on the Schecter seems better, but it's hard to say how long the matte gold finish will last. I like the look personally, though...

I would go with the Schecter...

4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Considering a hugely popular tweak is to run the preamp with 2x9v batteries in series, and a mod I've done more than once, I know that you can quite easily fit 2x9vs in there. Plenty of room in that control cavity IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. raventepes

raventepes

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

It's purely tone, honestly.

Basically, I'm wanting to emulate upper end Spector tone as much as possible, yet even a Euro 6XL is way out of reach for me, given its $2,900 asking price. The TWX's would go a bit beyond anything Spector actively produces, since I'm pretty sure they only use the TW model pups. The TWX's give much better output than the TW's and give plenty of flexibility which is also why I'm leaning towards the Schecter, given that it has a 5-knob layout, rather than the Spector's 4.

Edit to add*

Honestly, if ESP would produce a 6-string F model, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd be willing to pick up something like an F-416FM without changing anything, but while I'm on that thought, just picking up a F-415FM isn't entirely out of the question.