1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying a bass from Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I've got my eye on a bass from an international seller on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with this concerning duties and customs fees? Anything else I should know about?

2. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

I think you may be referring to the E-Bay store of Bass Japan:
    http://bass-japan.ocnk.net/

If so- have no concerns, he's a reputable dealer. There is a premium (read: higher) price that you'll pay for these basses- Atelier Z, Moon, etc. because there are no Dealers in the States. Basically he buys these instruments in Japan and ships them to you, acting as your "agent" so to speak. Nothing wrong with that; still less expensive than flying to Japan!

My bass was shipped overseas via EMS (Japan's "Fed-Ex") and then delivered to my home by the USPS, with full-tracking, in 5 days. It arrived in perfect condition, as promised.

I had no added Duties or Customs fees, and I was happy about that.

Another instrument I purchased from the UK had an additional unexpected $80 charge due upon delivery.
    I'm assuming the Customs laws are standard regarding musical instruments from Japan, and do not vary state to state.

There are some VERY nice basses available only from Japan-This is a good source for them.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Holy cow he has an enormous selection of lefties. I'm in GAS city.