1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

buying a bass need help!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hockeyking829, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hockeyking829

hockeyking829

hey everyone im looking to buy my first bass and idk whats good one and where to look. so if you guys could help that would be awesome.
    here is some info on me to help
    ive been play for 6 years. plan on playing for rest of life.
    currently first chair in my high school.
    at my high school i play 3/4 size. im 6 foot 4 inches. should i move up a size?

so if you guys(or gals) could help that would be greatly appreciated!:hyper::hyper::hyper:
  2. GerardSamija

GerardSamija

I'm fairly certain that using the 'search' function can be of help. As can the newbie sticky:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/ba...-please-read-before-posting-new-topics-43093/

As for your height... I know a couple of bassists at 6' 4" who really appreciate how much easier it is to navigate a bass which isn't over-sized with their extended reach. If you can find something with a decent sound in 3/4, stick with that as your technique will benefit. If you want a monster sound and don't mind carrying around and playing a 7/8 then by all means find one you like.

There are far, far too many options for anyone to give meaningful advice on what you should buy. Best I can offer is that you ought to get your hands on any and every bass you can for some months at least, try whatever someone will let you try, and keep notes. Try to gain enough experience with a large number of basses so that you can begin to recognize what it is you want, then shopping will become a lot easier.