1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gregmak, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new bass, however in Cyprus there are no shops which sell double basses. I could fly to Greece, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Germany etc to try some basses and hopefully find one I like.

I'm just wondering, would it be possible to ship a bass from any of those countries to Cyprus? Is it safe?

Also, since the USA uses dollars, finding a good used bass might come out really cheap for me, as the dollar/euro conversion benefits me. Would it be possible to ship a bass from the states? Or too risky/expensive?

The other issue is, there is no luthier in Cyprus. On my bass I fixed most of the issues myself, but there are definitely things that I have no knowledge on how to fix them. So this brings up the question of ply vs solid. The weather is also very dry and humid here, so maybe a ply/hybrid is better? I really want to buy a bass I'll be happy with. I only play straight ahead Jazz music, and I prefer to use gut strings. On the bass I have now, I think the gut strings caused a lot of buzzing problems.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. If you could also include a couple of shops in Europe I could check out that would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Greg

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Connecticut
    I suggest that you send a PM to the member, MIKMAN. He knows the region very well.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Thanks man, I'll contact him.