1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buying a matched cab sight unseen?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Salamenster, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

My fellow TB'ers, a scenario:

Let's say that you've got a combo that can handle another extension cab and you absolutely love the sound of the combo (so basically head/speaker combination) but want more oomph by adding an extension cabinet.

Because you love the sound of the combo, is it reasonable to think that the speaker cabinets of the SAME series and brand of amps have the same inherent sound, so that you can buy the extension sight-unseen with 100% knowledge that it will sound and match great with your combo? Also given the fact that the speaker sizes are identical.

Would really love some input into this.
  2. DannyBob

DannyBob

I'd go for it personally. Also, what brand is it you are looking at?
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's highly reasonable to assume that. I might go over the specs of each just to make sure, though.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Completely reasonable assumption, 100%, that is reserved for death and taxes.
  5. Salamenster

Salamenster

Buying a p210kc for my Ibanez p3110 combo.

@JimmyM, 'tis indeed a good idea to look at the Ibby site. Thanks for the advice. :)
  6. ack

ack Supporting Member

I was looking for a good match for my Markbass 102P Combo. There is enough brand-specific chatter on TB that will help you render a rational decision in this regard.

Within the Markbass Club and the Amps forum, the general consensus was that most brand-name 210 cabs (Berg, Avatar, Epifany, etc) would work well, but the Markbass 102HF would be the perfect fit. I bought one without ever hearing it with the 210 Combo, and I'm really happy I did.

I'm sure the other 210's would have been great as well.
  7. Salamenster

Salamenster

So you say, replace your post with 'Ibanez p210kc and p3110 combo' instead of MarkBass and do the same thing?

Ok, thanks for the advice! :)
  8. Crabby

Crabby

I did exactly this when I ordered a matching 210 extension cab for my Carvin 210 combo. I was a bit surprised when I received the cab that it had no tweeter like the combo does. Without a crossover, the extension cab sounds a bit different then the combo cab on its own.

But holy clams, the pair sound incredible. There really is some magic in adding a matching cab to the one you already have. The tone is richer, lots more bottom, and everything just sounds better in every way.

[​IMG]
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You only need one tweeter anyway. Personally I only need no tweeter ;) but if you like to use them, you're better off just having one as that's plenty, and you don't create anomalies like comb filtering due to improper distance from each other.
  10. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I agree with JimmyM. One tweeter is already too many.
    The only way I would take the tweeter is if there's a volume knob on the cab. I usually have it dialed down to 10% or 8 o'clock.

I like my highs creamy or smooth rather than bright and brittle.
    To each there own!
  11. Salamenster

Salamenster

I'm a bit of a nub on this front, but what's a crossover?

I can dig the aesthetics of your setup, though. Just wow.
  12. Cirk

Cirk

The basic idea of a crossover is that is sends low frequencies to the woofer(s) and the high frequencies to the tweeter.