1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

buying a pre- quick questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Dec 5, 2013.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

my cort A6 bass came with stock mk1 (bart-name) pickups and electronics. i had a carvin spb pickup pair just sitting around so i put that in the bass with the stock mk1 pre. now getting a new pre- bart NTMB 5.4 A/P 3-band (2 Pickup - 5 knob, 1 mid freq Switch configuration)

will the NTMB 3 band 5knob+1 switch (my bass' layout) work well with the carvin pickups or even the mk1 pickups? i could use either really, i figured its the pre which needs to do. but do they all work well together?

2. NTMB 3 band doesnt have a gain trip pot on it?

3. is there another preamp in that price range (160$) i should really consider to put in that bass with either the carvin or the stock mk1 pickups?

here's a link - http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-ntmb.htm
  2. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Not sure about the Bart pre compatability- but it should be ok:
    both sets of pups are passive?
    Curious as to the tone diff you noticed between the mkI's and Carvins?
  4. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

the bart pre looks ok. am not sure if i should get the obp-3
    both sets are passive
    lots of tone difference, the carvins are hotter and bass heavier and somehow the high C sounds twangy ever since i put on the carvins in the bass.
    although i still hear the mk-1'ish sound in the "texture" or the character of the sound. it probably is the preamp doing this but i can only find out when i get a new preamp to upgrade!
    although there is no denying that the carvins sound better than the mk1 pickups!
  5. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the NTMB pre. It should work with just about any passive pickups. If the pickups are especially hot, you may need to go with two 9V batteries for extra headroom.
  6. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

How would i "hear" that?