1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying a round of drinks for only part of the band..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Dec 11, 2012.

1. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I am in a very good cover band. We are tight and fun to watch. Our guitarist is amazing, young and dynamic. Our singer is less animated but has an unbelievable voice. It amazes me how many people will buy a drink for the singer and guitarist and ignore the drummer and I. I am not a drinker, but still if you can't afford to buy a whole round, throw $5 in the tip jar rather than singling out a player.
    If I am off on a rare weekend, I buy the whole band a round of what they are drinking ( unless I know their drinks are free anyway and then I just throw a 20 in the tip jar).:scowl:

2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

That's messed up, man. At least it's you and the drummer...you'd really have to be bent if it was just you. So, there's your bright side :meh:

Nice videos, btw. Your singer does have one hell of a voice.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

If you don't take it personally, it won't bother you.

4. LegoBass

LegoBass

Well, sounds like you are in a better situation then me. My last gig this crazy drunk bought the whole band shots and didn't realize I am the youngest in the band at 20 years old. He almost broke into a fight with me demanding that I drink the shot, with the bouncer and the manager both giving me the stink eye from the corner. It took forever for that guy to finally understand that I couldn't drink it without getting kicked out....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dbase

dbase

Our band brings its own bottle of Petrone... we kill it before we go on stage...

7. Vakmere

Vakmere

If you dont drink then what's the loss? Missed opportunity to decline?

8. Winfred

Winfred

Welcome to being the bassist.

9. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

You should bring that up with the singer & guitar player. It should be up to them to straighten out patrons when that situation comes up.

10. Richland123

Richland123

That happens with us regularly where one of us gets a drink. Since I am also the manager, spokesperson, and crowd schmoozer, sometimes, people will offer to buy me a drink since I chit chat with the patrons and thank them for coming and ask what they want to hear. I don't drink alcohol and since I only drink soda pop, they are usually quick to offer me a drink.

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Ha! Band sounds good, but I would offer your guitar player a drink just to bring him down a notch. Pick slides and squeel harmonics all through "Can't Get Enough" is a bit much. Plus, he does the Zack Wylde stance (6 foot spread between left and right feet) even on a chill song. He's a little over the top.

Sorry about the drink thing. Good band.

12. Russell L

Russell L

They usually take it as an insult when I say, "I'll just have a coke." Sorry, but I don't drink much, and never when driving (which is the way I get to my gigs, usually).

13. almightycrunch

almightycrunch

Happens in my band as well. I am not a "non-drinker" but I generally dont drink when I'm, playing. Lots of occasions where someone will buy the singer and guitar player a shot, and leave out me and the drummer. I'm not bothered by it, but others are!!! lol

14. warnergt

warnergt

What are you going to tell the patron?
    "You have to buy two additional drinks"?
    "You have to buy four drinks or you buy no drinks"?

Are you going to insult the patron or put additional demands
    upon him when he is merely showing appreciation?

The reality is that there is nothing you can do here. The
    guy is trying to do a good deed. He didn't have to buy any
    drinks. And everybody is a winner here: the guy likes your
    band (even if he hasn't bought you a drink), the band has a
    happy fan, the joint is selling more drinks.

Don't make lemons out of lemonade.

15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Exact opposite happened to me. This guy comes up to me and offers me $100 to let him play Drums on one song. He walked right past the Singer and Guitarist to do it. I said Sure even though I am the Bass player. I talk my drummer (Todd) into letting him play one song. It went great. Then afterwards I give Todd the $100. He ends up splitting it 4 ways. I miss Them Guys and the Brotherhood we formed But had to downsize & move 8 hours way for financial reasons.

16. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

I wouldn't worry about it. People, it seems, tend to get tunnel vision at shows and only see the guitars and singer.
    There were many times where someone would see me carrying my bass case and ask "what band are you with?"
    To which my reply would nearly always be "the one that just got off stage."

17. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Join a power trio! I don't sing but I sure do get plenty of drink offers along with the drummer. I limit myself to two pints a gig so if I'm already there I say " I can't drink anymore but I would be most grateful if you could bring me water" never a problem with that.

18. David Jayne

David Jayne

'Patron.' You should upscale to Don Julio. Much better.

19. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I'm weird, I don't trust drinks from fans unless I'm married to them. It's only happened a few times, but it's something I prefer to avoid.

20. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    You're not weird at all. When I drank, I would nearly always try to avoid the comps from the audience, i.e., a tray covered with god-knows-what filled shot glasses. "Mmmm, Jager-Rumple-Peach!"

I would always be polite and let them know I appreciated the gesture, though.

OP- Welcome to the under-loved brotherhood of the backline. :bawl:

Maybe jump around more and make some faces. :smug:

21. electracoyote

electracoyote

A perfect illustration of how rude and inconsiderate people can be.

I had it happen to me once in a band. I thought it was the most tasteless and insulting thing I'd ever experienced. I'd rather have a patron walk up and puke on my shoes.