Buying an 212 from US which I can easily find spare parts in Eastern Europe?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DaRQsiDe, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good 212 that I will be buying in US, but if something happens, I also need to find parts in Eastern Europe easily, since I will be moving from US soon...

Can you recommend me anything?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I realize it would be a custom build, but the advantage of something like a fEARful is that the drivers and parts are all off-the-shelf. You could get one with Faital drivers, which I think are made in Italy. And the lighter weight might help defray some of your shipping costs.

4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

EBS? Excellent cabs, home office in Sweden. Great service. Available in the US, but a bit pricey.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dincz

dincz

Most manufacturers list their distributors in other countries on their web sites.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

^This.

fEarful or something alike isn't a bad choice either, most of the on-line speaker retailers ship everywhere in Europe.

BTW, how east are we talking about?

Regards
    Sam

8. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

I'll be mainly based in Turkey (Istanbul) with occasional visits to Russia and Ukraine, and most companies like GB, Aguilar... do not have a local distribution network, which I was mainly looking for.

My main itch is to get a Barefaced or a fEARful, but I don't know if I can get the parts for these easily and cost efficiently...

9. dincz

dincz

From the Barefaced web site:
    "If you're outside Europe, North America, Australia or New Zealand then please contact us for shipping weights/dimensions so you can calculate the shipping cost."

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Markbass would be a good choice. They're availalble all over Europe including Turkey, which you may or not consider an European country.

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

What's there to consider?

A half of one city is on the European side.

Regards
    Sam

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

This half is also the biggest city in Europe.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Watch out for mains voltage issues. I realize you're talking about speakers and not amps here, but if you're moving, you might as well get all of your ducks in a row and make sure your amp can be readily converted from 120 to 240 Volts.

14. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

No problem on that end, as long as there's no problem in the frequency of AC (50Hz vs 60Hz) when using amps (or other electronics, I do multiple preamps > PA).

Also building a fEARful is an option as long as it's "a bit" cost efficient - Workmanship is really cheap in Turkey but the cost of materials (since you need to get the Eminence drivers through an authorized distributor and most of the time, they have monopoly over the materials and the prices jump up significantly... e.g. A brand new Fender American Jazz Bass is $1300 in here, it goes ~$1800-2000 on second hand in Turkey).

One can always hope for the best :bassist:

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Probably better off getting a cab to get you by while you are there, then selling and getting a Barefaced when you come to Europe. Best value both sides that way.

16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I spent 2011 in the Czech Republic, in Prague (also worked/traveled to Turkey). Based on my own experience, I would personally advise you to get your rig sussed before you go, and take it with you instead of trying to deal with the local supplier/global supplier situation. If you are going over on a corporate assignment (like I did), adding your bass gear and rig to a container shipment is a no brainer, at least IMO/IME.

As you already seem to know, pricing is crazy in Europe, and even crazier in E. Europe. Then there is matter of whats available locally (really a mixed bag, some good, some terrible), then there is the issue of dealing with shipping (bureaucracy, regulation and cost), and of course, unless you can speak Turkish, there is the language/general communication challenge.

good luck, and enjoy!

17. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

To the point :)

Yeah, after living in US for years and having easy access to everything, going back home to that reality is a bit hard...

I think what I will do is get drivers (maybe the crossover also) from US, probably carry them in my backpack or checked baggage (here goes shipping and export tax :)) and get the other parts in Turkey (non-electronic) and assemble in Turkey. You never know (and I have no idea how but) I can appear as a authorized fEARful builder east of England :)

Thank you all for the valuable input :)